Safe and sound

Writer Jessica Dubin shares her advice about how to keep sane and safe this holiday season.

Fall is one of the most festive times of the year. People gather with friends and family for fun activities and holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Although some may think staying home is the only option with the new wave of COVID-19 cases, there are many ways to participate in the fall festivities while staying safe. It’s important to not get discouraged and remember there’s always a safe alternative. There are many activities that allow people to celebrate the fall. Places like Linvilla Orchards have corn mazes, hayrides and many more fall festivities that allow everyone to remain distanced. They only run activities that have limited contact with others and have strict mask policies, along with social distancing guidelines that help ensure safety. As long as each person follows the guidelines and washes their hands, these activities can be done safely. Additionally, people can also pick pumpkins that can be used to decorate their home. Carving pumpkins is another festive activity to do with the pumpkins you pick, which can be done very safely with friends or family. Each group can gather distanced outside and have a pumpkin carving and/or decorating contest! Another fun fall activity is apple picking, which people can enjoy with others and later make festive dishes with the apples that they picked. Something else to do to get into the fall spirit is make a bonfire, roast marshmallows, and enjoy the warmth of the fire outside with friends and family.

Thanksgiving is also a holiday that will be celebrated very differently this year. Families are not going to be able to have their large family gatherings like normal, but there are many ways to stay connected with loved ones and participate in annual traditions. One thing to do is have an outdoor Thanksgiving, if the weather permits, which reduces the chance of spreading COVID-19 and allows everyone to celebrate safely while still being with extended family. Another option is to celebrate online, connecting with family and friends and enjoy a meal together. We can’t let this virus take away our sense of community, as we can still participate in normal fall festivities while following the safety guidelines. These guidelines are extremely important to follow because they are the best way to reduce the spread of the virus. If people do not follow them, the virus rates will increase and continue to worsen. As long as people properly social distance, wear their masks, and wash their hands, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the holiday season while staying safe.