COVID-19 Testing

Quick review of LM’s new testing program.
Winter sport athletes take weekly COVID-19 tests in the cafeteria and receive results electronically. | Photo courtesy of Phillip Gao ’22/Staff

In order to keep students and faculty members safe, LM has been testing teachers and winter sport athletes for COVID-19. LMSD is one of the first districts taking part in a program called Assisting Childhood Edu- cation through Increased Testing, also known as ACE-IT. According to Superintendent Robert Copeland, “The program primarily uses BinaxNOW tests, which provide results in fifteen minutes and are administered us- ing a nasal swab in the front area of the nostril.” Tests are conducted weekly for both teachers and students. All teachers who work in the building, asymptomatic or symptomatic, are required to test. As of now, only students who compete in winter sports can participate in the program, as the district is prioritizing “…programs where social distancing cannot be maintained to the extent recommended…” In a schoolwide poll surveying 292 students, 12.3 percent of the respondents reported having participated in the ACE-IT program. Other results from the survey are shown below.

“Right now with the hybrid schedule no one is vaccinated and we are coming anyway. I think it would be fine as long as people are careful.” – Brendan McGrew ’24

“Unless you have a medical reason, your individual choice should not outweigh the health of students.” – Max Fishman ’22

“I think it is important to do my part in helping protect people through herd immunity.” – Natalie Hillis ’24

Graphic by Emma Liu ’22/Staff
Graphic by Emma Liu ’22/Staff