Royalties and Loyalties

Following an extremely public departure from the duties of the English monarchy, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle revealed little-known details in an exclusive interview with Oprah.
Graphic by Ilana Zahavy ’24

It kicked off with an emotional and sensitive topic, suicide. Markle claimed that life among the royal family made her suicidal. As a member of the British royal family seeking mental support, she was told that it would not be possible as it “wouldn’t be good for the institution.” The response and lack of support the British royal family extended towards Markle made her feel even more hopeless and depressed. 

Next, she mentioned she experienced relentless racism from the tabloids, even from the beginning of her and Harry’s relationship. There were numerous conversations about members of the family’s concerns of how dark her son Archie’s skin tone was going to be. Markle said she also believed that the color of her skin tone put a divide between her and some of the royals. Furthermore, Harry and Markle think that the concern of race was a factor as to not grant their son official security. They constantly pleaded for security and protection, only to be rejected every time. 

The royal family failed to stick up for Markle to correct false accusations and stories about her. Once Markle married into the royal family, tabloids and the media constantly bullied and picked on her. Markle states that most of the stories, like how she made Duchess of Cambrdige, Kate Middleton, cry were not even close to the truth. 

There were also questions raised by the tabloids about Markle’s personality and behavior. Media outlets labeled her as a “diva” or “unhumble.” “My family literally cut me off financially,” Prince Harry mentioned to Oprah. Almost all members of the royal family receive an amount of money each year in exchange for carrying out official engagements. Once Harry introduced Markle to the family, things started to change. Members of the royal family told Harry that Markle should “stick to acting” because they claimed to not have enough money to pay for her. Lastly, once Markle and Harry decided to move to the United States, the royal family stopped giving them money. 

It is safe to say that Markle and Harry have been through a lot together. After this interview, it is difficult to predict what the couple’s relationship with the royals will look like in the future.