Anime Day

Anime has been taking the media by storm in the past couple of years. This is a review and recommendation of some top Anime’s.

Anime has taken the world by storm in recent years. These Japanese animations typically have unique styles of art combined with soundtracks that perfectly match its intensity. Whether you watch romance or action, with or without subtitles—there is something for everyone. 

National Anime Day was held on April 15th, where many fans proudly talked about their favorite shows and movies under the category. As someone who grew up watching classics such as Pokemon, Naruto, and Dragon Ball, I want to recommend some of my favorite anime. 

1. Nana 2006, 47 episodes
    1. You might have heard about this anime from TikTok, but the first time I saw it was in 2017. I instantly fell in love with the realistic emotions, catchy soundtrack, and how the character’s outfits take inspiration from Vivienne Westwood. This 47 episode anime tells the story of two girls with the same name, Nana, who’s lives become connected after coincidentally meeting on a train. The show has been on hiatus for many years, but many fans patiently await its return. I believe that despite its hiatus, it’s definitely worth the watch. If you love shows that tackle themes of love, coming of age, and music—definitely check out Nana. 
  2. A Silent Voice 2016, movie
    1. This is one of my favorite anime, let alone movies, of all time. It’s about a boy, Shoya, that accompanied his friends in bullying a deaf girl, Shoko, in elementary school. The movie follows how these actions affected his life, and how Shoya’s anxiety prevented him from making friends. I showed this to my friends on my 15th birthday (they hate anime) and now they recommend it to people. 
  3. Death Note 2006, 37 episodes
    1. After almost two decades, many fans are claiming that Death Note has aged into a masterpiece. I don’t want to give away too much, because I believe for this show the less you know the better, but it’s a mystery that follows the story of Light And L. Light is a teenage boy with a strict code of values, and he hates criminals. What do you think happens when he gets his hands on the Death Note (the notebook that allows him to kill anyone simply by writing their name down)? Will the detective, L, catch him right away? If this seems interesting – definitely watch it. I catch myself watching old episodes all the time. 
  4. Attack On Titan ongoing, 86 episodes
    1. In 2022, if you google “anime,” the first thing that pops up are probably images of this morally ambiguous and action-packed show. It follows the story of 3 children: Eren, Armin, and Mikasa. They live a peaceful life within walls that guard them from peculiarly tall creatures named “titans.” One day, the walls break and their lives are never the same. Watch Attack On Titan before the final season airs in 2023!

Graphic by Emmi Wu ’23/Staff