She’s got the drive

Sydney Yermish ’23 is crowned the PIAA golf state champion for the second year in a row.

Photo courtesy of PA Prep Live

The pinnacle of any high school athlete’s career is being crowned the state champion. Sydney Yermish ’23 has done so not only once, but on October 18, the LM senior claimed the title of state champion for her second consecutive season.  These past two years, the golf talent has won back to back Central League, District, and State titles.  

The senior concluded her successful high school career at the 2022 PIAA state championships at the Penn State Golf Course on October 18-19.  Yermish scored an impressive 5 under par at the challenging course, defeating many other gifted golfers all fighting for the state chip.  This was a big win for Yermish, she reveals, “It feels great to be back-to-back state champion.  I lost in a playoff my freshman and sophomore year. The Central League was the only league in the entire state held back, so to finally win my junior year was truly incredible. Now, to win my senior year, my last year here, and back that win up, is a whole other feeling.”

When she’s not dominating the course, Yermish spends her time volunteering at her local fire station as a volunteer firefighter.  Balancing school and athletics is a struggle for many athletes, but Yermish goes above and beyond when she chooses to help serve and protect her community.  Her passion for service makes it worth her time.  She reasons, “I was always interested in emergency services and joining was the best decision I ever made. I got to meet a whole set of people who I’d consider my family. I also love what we do, I love the adrenaline rush pulling up to a fire, but more importantly I love helping the people that need it. I plan to get my EMT later in the school year as well!”

Next fall, the senior will retire her LM uniform for the colors of blue and gold.  Yermish is committed to the prestigious University of Michigan where she will continue her athletic and academic careers.  She is excited to continue her success at the division 1 collegiate level. Yermish states, “There are no strict goals laid out right now, however, I want to be a continuous asset for my team. Michigan is a top university for academics and golf, so hopefully I can learn from others on the team to help further my game.”