Celebrating women who tell our stories

This Women’s History Month, celebrate women through these amazing film and books!

Throughout this year’s Women’s History Month, LM can work to remember and honor past generations of inspiring women. Women can be celebrated in a variety of ways, one of which is through films and literature that tell their stories. Here are some movies and books that you should check out this month.  Of course, there are biopics (movies telling the story of a person or persons life) such as The Iron Lady, about Margaret Thatcher, and Frida, about artist and activist Frida Khalo. Natalie Portman plays Jackie Kennedy in Jackie, the former first lady and widow of JFK. Margot Robbie stars in I, Tonya, about the famous figure skater, Tonya Harding. Another famous film is Hidden Figures, a biopic about the three Black female mathematicians who were the masterminds behind NASA. They used their intelligence to help people while facing immense prejudice. 

One documentary telling the story of an amazing woman is RBG. This documentary follows the story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg—a Supreme Court Justice and hero who faced tremendous sexism, but did not let that stop her from changing America. One film that is less well known, but contains a great story, is Sacheen. The film is about Sacheen Littlefeather, an actor and activist. Littlefeather, who comes from Apache and Yaqui ancestry, was famously booed at the Oscars in 1973 for declining the Best Actor award on behalf of Marlon Brando for the portrayal of Native Americans in Hollywood. This is a good pick if you want to learn about women who aren’t afraid to stick to their beliefs. 

There are also fictional movies that follow women as they grow up, often referred to as “coming of age stories.” The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants follows friends (played by talented women like America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel, Amber Tamblyn and Blake Lively) on their summer adventures. The classic story of Little Women is about a young woman’s journey into womanhood during the American Civil War. This memorable story about women was directed by one too! The movie was directed by Greta Gerwig, one notable female director. Other talented and acclaimed directors worth noting are Sofia Coppola and Isabel Sandoval. Coppola has won one Academy Award, and Sandoval became the first transgender woman of color to compete in the Venice Film Festival.

For readers, here are some book recommendations that highlight inspiring women. Joy Luck Club, written by Amy Tan, follows four Chinese women who immigrated to San Francisco in 1949. Through meetings and sharing moments from their culture, they bond over  their tragedies. Another book is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. This book tells the story of the woman behind the infamous HELA cells that have helped the world. Lacks died of cancer, but her cells lived on, with her family getting no credit or income. The book follows the Lacks family and the story behind the HELA cells. 

It is also important to celebrate other great female authors, such as poets Amanda Gorman and Maya Angelou. I recommend trying out The Hill We Climb by Gorman and Still I Rise by Angelou. Beloved by Toni Morrison is great if you need an enriching read. Finally, you cannot go wrong with Laurie Halse Anderson’s books Fever 1793 and Chains

Use these 31 days to your advantage to explore the vast world of creativity by and about women!

Graphic by Julia Zorc ’24 /staff