Striding from States to spring

Read about LM’s winter track team as they prepare for their season this spring.

From race to race, the LM boys indoor track team has been nothing but exceptional through their time spent at meets, with thousands watching and stiff competition. Taking the largest team in LM history to indoor states this year, the program’s future looks bright. After racing successfully against opponents in Staten Island, Manhattan, and Lehigh, the Aces brought teams in the 4×800 meter race and the Distance Medley Relay (DMR). In addition, Andrew Gannon ’23 raced in the 1600 meter and Alex Goonewardene ’24 and Jaden Jeudy ’23 ran in the 800 meter at Penn State’s indoor track facility. The DMR highlighted the Aces’ success with a performance that gave Gannon, Goonewardene, Jeudy, and Sarem Khan ’24 medals. Such an event requires all members of the relay to have success in different distances. Where a traditional relay would use the four best runners in the same event, the DMR uses four different runners from four different distances; the competition is a true testament to distance programs. This entire group of runners serves to be even more
impressive considering the notable absence of the many highly talented seniors that made
up last year’s team, and the departure of previous coach David Van Houten (who led the team to the highest place the Aces had ever received at the cross country state championship). Despite a generally disappointing finish in Cross Country States this year, the team morale didn’t seem to miss a beat. Bearing through workouts during the bitter winter months can often seem a daunting, if not painful, part of the sport, but this team has demonstrated that perseverance is the key to success on the oval. To add to the difficulty of the season, some of the Aces have been without consistent coaching for much of the season (though other coaches have stepped up to bridge the gap). As for the sprint group, the spotlight wasn’t dim in that area either. Only fractions of a second off from a state-qualifying time, the 4×400 meter relay team proved that this is one of the most talented teams in school history

In arguably the most competitive event at States, the LM DMR, pictured above, finished eighth in the state. | Photo courtesy of Alex Goonewardene ’24

Speaking on the team’s success and outlook towards the spring season, Khan spoke “I think [the momentum carrying over from recent accomplishments] should carry over pretty well, especially for the sprinters as well, and definitely all of us distance guys will have good momentum entering the spring season.” Though the weather may be transitioning from freezing to sweltering hot, such conditions fail to take away any of the excitement towards the many opportunities available on the track. Facing opponents from the Central League in competitions scheduled in-between certain larger meets, the season will most likely be highlighted by races in Coatesville, North Penn, West Chester Henderson, and Unionville. The team is also very hopeful to land runners in the Penn Relays, District, and State Championships towards the end of the season. With high expectations brewing and the desire to build on the past few years and create more Division One athletes, the runners will wear the singlets and lace their spikes with great pride and honor.