Sun’s out–now what? 7 ways to enjoy the may weather

Ways of taking advantage of the nice May weather
Graphic by Ilana Zahavy ’24/staff

Let’s face it, this winter was a let-down. We had barely any snow, yet experienced days that were raw, brisk, and windy enough to make waiting for the bus at 6:45 a.m. miserable. However, spring is finally here, bringing sun and sweltering heat back along with it. As these seventy-degree days tick by (and more and more kids start wearing shorts to school), getting outdoors and enjoying the beautiful weather becomes more enticing. The days of huddling under layers of blankets are behind us. So, to take advantage of each warm, idyllic day handed to the LM community, here are seven easy and local ideas for how to take advantage of the May weather.

1. Take a hike! Although the Philly area isn’t famous for its challenging, treacherous trails, there are a few close ones that are worth checking out. Rolling Hills Creek in Gladwyne is a 1.4 mile loop that is easy and dog-friendly. In addition to the creek, hikers can walk through the forest surrounding it and see various old stone buildings built for mill workers back in the 1800s. If you’re looking for a trail that will give you more exercise, try the Crossbow Trail near Fairmount Park and the Mann Center. This 2.4 mile route is a little more challenging but offers walking, running, and mountain biking. Whether you’re going with your friends, your family, or by yourself for a beautiful walk with your headphones, consider giving one of these local spots a try.

2. Find the next Village Treats! If you haven’t heard, Narberth’s beloved ice cream shop is closing. This means that everyone is on the lookout for the next way to beat the summer heat! The first option is Sweet Stuff in Suburban Square, which is a walk away from LM. If you haven’t tried their ice cream yet, try taking a trip with friends after school. Another popular place is Yapple Yogurt in the Wynnewood shopping center. Maybe frozen yogurt is LM’s next step for a May refresher. Finally, if you’re willing to drive (or happen to be at Conestoga high school for an away game), consider checking out Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream in Berwyn. What’s appealing about this parlor is its exotic flavors such as cherry magnolia, strawberry cheesecake chunk, and French silk pie. Whichever you choose to visit this May will not disappoint.

3. Have a picnic! It may seem overdone, but a picnic can be a fun and simple activity to plan with your friends. Find your favorite local park, like Shortridge or South Ardmore. Pick a date, invite a few friends, bring some food, and enjoy! Just remember that your picnic may end up being an insect’s as well. Make sure to bring covers and spray if you’re worried about ants and other bothersome bugs.

4. Volunteer outside! You don’t have to be part of BuildOn to earn some volunteer hours on a beautiful day. There are a bunch of local Philly organizations you can sign up with. One is Fairmount Park Conservancy, which focuses on Philly park upkeep. You can sign up to volunteer one night a week or a single day—they have tons of options to work around a busy high school schedule. Another organization is CleanUpPhilly, which maintains recreational areas around the city like Cobbs Creek or Palmer Park. Never heard of them? Try checking it out. As for inside the LM community, make sure to check the Township website for future volunteer opportunities.

5. Host an outdoor movie night! Now that the days have become longer and the nights aren’t as cold, think about having some friends over for a simple movie night. You don’t need an expensive projector setup; good quality projectors that cost around $50 dollars can be found on Amazon, and a garage or side of a house will do as a screen. Set up chairs, blankets, pillows, hammocks, and get comfy for a fun night.

6. Plant flowers or a garden! If you’re willing to devote a couple minutes each day, starting a small garden on a window or in your yard is a fun and rewarding way to embrace the warm weather. If you have younger siblings, there is a plant sale at each elementary school this May. Ask them to pick up a plant or some seeds. If not, there are a bunch of small business greenhouses that you can visit for all of your gardening needs. Two highly-recommended nurseries are Taddeo’s Greenhouses located in Havertown and Plant and People in the city. Brighten up your backyard with some flowers or vegetables. Planting a few veggies will also lead to some delicious, healthy summer meals later on!

7. Run or walk for a good cause! If you’re looking for a long-term spring goal or a way to exercise outside of school sports, consider signing up for one of the many runs that happen around the Philly area. One very close opportunity is the Ardmore Rotary 5k Race on May 20. It is a run and walk that raises money for the Ardmore Rotary Club, a club that works to upkeep and maintain the Ardmore community. If you’d like to run for charity, there is a Philadelphia Bar Association 5k on May 21. This event benefits the Support Center for Child Advocates, an organization that helps and supports neglected and abused children. There are many more May runs in the area that focus on a variety of causes– check out RunGuides.com to find others.

As the end of the year approaches, everyone is looking forward to summer and the end of the school year. Still, it’s not over yet. If you have some free time on a weekend or a weeknight, try one of these ideas. Whether you decide to train, volunteer, or simply hang out with friends, make the most of this May!