Fashion at the US Open

From famous singers like Justin Bieber to fashion icons like Anna Wintour, celebrities this year showed up to the world-famous tennis competition dressed to impress.
Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25

Believe it or not, fashion at the US Open is getting even more press than the infamous New York Fashion Week. At first it might sound surprising, but after seeing the looks at the matches, it’s clear why. Celebrities are going all out in chic, Sophia Richie-esque looks for this classy event. A lot of these celebrities have just come back from across the pond, and are bringing the fashion seen at Wimbledon back with them to the US Open. 

Take Michelle Obama—she sported a sophisticated Oscar de la Renta denim tea-length dress, sparking the long-denim epidemic that’s sweeping the nation. Also looking flawless and elegant was Emma Watson, who rocked a perfect white suit with black Ralph Lauren accessories. 

Camila Alves and Matthew McConaughey both got the white suit memo, each pairing theirs with Gucci sneakers. Another twinning couple was Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet. They both rocked casual all-black outfits. So casual, you might even think they were normal people, if it weren’t for Jenner’s designer bag and sunglasses.

Some celebrities are still holding on to Barbie summer. Nicole Kidman flaunted a preppy pink Self-Portrait dress and white accessories, pulling her look together with a white jacket. J Balvin chose to channel his Kenergy on the second day with a full pink outfit. 

A couple of attendees chose not to stick to the classy theme, like Justin Bieber. He donned leather jackets, baggy jeans, oversized Loewe sunglasses, and a polka-dot hat, showcasing his personality.

Laura Dern also took a different route when it came to her style for the event. Her ruffled Chloé blouse mixed with flowy floral pants were the moment. Her hair and glasses really sealed the deal, making her look like she just stepped out of the 70’s.

Supermodel and style-icon Emily Ratajkowski showed up dressed to the nines, ready for both summer and fall. Her gray strapless dress was stunning, but her black knee-high boots were the real showstopper. The whole look was tied together by shiny black sunglasses and a shoulder bag.

Fashion legends Anna Wintour and Vera Wang were spotted next to each other, both looking absolutely amazing. Wintour opted for a summery floral matching jacket and skirt, paired with, of course, her iconic black sunglasses. Wang opted for an almost opposite look. She wore a white long sleeve and a long blue skirt—very minimalistic. 

Andy Cohen was the picture of class in Ralph Lauren. His navy suit coordinated perfectly with his striped button up, and his pink tie added a pop of color that reminded us that summer isn’t completely over—yet.

If we need another reminder that summer isn’t totally gone, Justin Timberlake’s green and white checkered sweater can help; the look was bold, bright, and fitting for the event.

Ralph Lauren seemed to be the go-to brand for the US Open this year. Mindy Kaling showed us why in her blue and white getup. Her brown bag complemented her look perfectly. Ariana DeBose may have redeemed herself from her viral BAFTA performance with her Ralph Lauren look. Looking super preppy and elegant, she sported a brown tee with a white collar underneath, tucked into a black midi skirt. She was put-together and poised.

Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25

All in all, the fashion at this year’s US Open was unmatched. There was a shift from athleisure and streetwear to classy, elegant styles, and I am all for it! I’m looking forward to seeing the influence this event and newer fashion influences (*cough cough* Sophia Richie) will have on the trends we see this fall and winter.