Don’t “Snooze” on SZA

Despite multiple cancellations, SZA finally performed in Philadelphia and gave her fans an unforgettable night.
Graphic by Angelina Lu ’26

A piece of art. That’s what viewers like me, witnessed at the Wells Fargo Center during the long awaited SZA concert this past Tuesday. With my last minute ticket purchased two days prior to the concert, I had to rush to prepare. Throwing together a quick outfit and studying the setlist in the little time available, I ensured the night would be a success.

On the day itself, my friend and I took the I-95 south in a frantic rush, eager to arrive at the concert early. When we arrived, lines stretched from door to door outside the Wells Fargo Center, and cars were packed bumper to bumper. But a warm September night made for the perfect weather to wait in line among fellow SZA lovers.

Walking into the stadium, I could feel the vibrant energy and high spirits. Superfans were decked out in past SZA merch, and everybody was dressed to the nines, quietly singing SZA lyrics under their breath. This performance was long anticipated. SZA had already let down her Philly fans by canceling two previous shows—one of them being part of her tour, which she postponed due to a conflict, and the second being the Made In America festival, which was canceled as a whole. But SZA had finally arrived in Philadelphia.

The performance began with a screen rising from the floor. A blue ocean landscape mimicking her album cover consumed the stage, and the silhouette of the singer appeared. She “dove” into the water, then emerged onto the stage. The crowd screamed, shrieked, and sang along to all of her songs. A fully packed Wells Fargo Center lit up with flashlights from the audience’s phones, making for a breath-taking scene.SZA was able to seamlessly blend music with set design and audience interaction. The setlist included songs not just from her 2022 album SOS, but also from her 2017 album Ctrl, singles with artist Doja Cat, and the Marvel movie Black Panther. SZA journeyed through various landscapes accompanied by four backup dancers and her most popular songs. What started as a blue ocean then evolved into an underwater magical seaworld, a ship lost at sea, and a beautiful sunset over the sea’s horizon. A true artistic masterpiece was performed that night. I have never witnessed such a beautiful set, accompanied by such a beautiful voice. SZA truly outdid herself.