Fall Fest 2023

LM’s fall fest was a success, even with the rain. Read all about different students experiences at the event.
Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25/Staff

Despite the rainy Saturday on October 14, 2023, LM hosted their annual Fall Fest. Unlike last year’s event, this year’s Fall Fest was held inside the school, and even though it looked different, it remained one of the most exciting events for the performing arts organizations at LM. From 12-4 P.M., the afternoon was filled with fun activities, such as face painting, a touch-a-truck, theater open house, meet the instruments, games, and more. The event was organized by the various performing arts organizations of LM such as Players, the Music Department and volunteers from BuildOn. The event served as a great way for young students at LM to engage with the great music program offered in the district and provided them with the opportunity to try out different musical instruments, such as the cello, trombone, and trumpet.

In addition to trying out musical instruments, various fun activities were also present at the event. This included inflated darts that were set up right outside of the Players hallway by BuildOn volunteers Ezra Fathia ’25 and Anthony Labbad ’25. Labbad described the event as “a refreshingly wholesome experience that was fun for both the younger children and all the volunteers. It was a great success for the music department and really fulfilling to be a part of.” Additionally, Fatiha stated, “The event was such a great way for the Lower Merion community to come together. I had lots of fun volunteering by setting up the events and helping out the young students try out instruments. I also was able to talk with Dr. Johnson, which was the highlight of my day.” Other activities included a bean bag bucket toss, run by Rona Shalish ’25, who also volunteered through BuildOn. Like the other volunteers, Shalish had a great time at the event, stating “I absolutely loved helping out kids try a new instrument. I have always been a long time guitar player. I came to volunteer at this event because I wanted to help kids fall in love with playing musical instruments.”

In addition, Ezra Shapiro ’25, who currently plays the viola for the LM Orchestra, was even there to help his own sibling try out the viola, to which he stated, “It was great having my own brother try out an instrument I have been playing since elementary school. I really hope that this experience serves as an opportunity to help young students be part of our supportive and talented music department at the school.” From the general consensus, it is safe to say that the weather challenges did not interfere with the overall thrill and excitement that Fall Fest continues to bring each year.