A tale of two Bens

The Merionite sat down with Ben Snyder ’24 and interviewed him on his experience playing the role of young Ben Franklin at the 2023 commemoration ceremony of Benjamin Franklin’s arrival in Philadelphia.
Photo courtesy of The Philadelphia Inquirer

LM is filled with talent in various fields. We have award-winning writers, D1-committed athletes, stellar actors, and amazing singers. One of our many talented students, Ben Snyder ’24, showcased his outstanding acting abilities at the 2023 commemoration ceremony of Benjamin Franklin’s arrival in Philadelphia. In this ceremony, which included a reenactment and interactions with the public, Snyder played the role of young Benjamin Franklin. In accepting this role, Snyder became the youngest actor in history to portray Franklin. For further information about his experience, The Merionite interviewed Snyder to get an exclusive, behind the scenes look at his role.

Q: Can you tell us about your experience as one of the youngest actors to portray Franklin, a role usually reserved for an older actor? How did you feel when you first learned about this opportunity?

A: The first time I heard about this opportunity, I felt nervous at first, mainly because Franklin has a lot of history. I felt a little less nervous after learning about the part, because I didn’t have to know as much since I was only portraying young Franklin.

Q: This event included a commemoration ceremony outside the Second Bank of the United States. What were the most significant moments for you during this event, especially when you recited a portion of Franklin’s autobiography?

A: I had no idea of the crowd turnout, so seeing that many people was very exciting for me. I knew the Master of Ceremonies of the show, Jim Gardner, really well and I got to see him again, which was one of the highlights of the event. Seeing all of those people there being excited for the event was very amazing.

Q: You are currently a senior at LM. How did your education and experiences at LM contribute to your journey as an actor and prepare you for you unique role as young Franklin?

A: Taking classes like United States History and Government definitely helped me with this role. The teachers at LM are very understanding and great at teaching me valuable information. They also understood that my activities outside of school often interfere with my education. Despite this, they have been very supportive and accommodating.

Q: The Arden Theatre recommended you to The Historic Philadelphia Organization for the role. Can you share more about your background in theater and how you got involved with that theatre?

A: In sixth grade, I remember performing in the play A Doll’s House at Arden theatre and they have liked me ever since. My mom was also a sponsor at Arden Theatre many years ago, so I started my career in theater at a very young age. I first started in television, then slowly progressed to movies.

Q: Could you describe your approach to preparing for the role of young Franklin, particularly the aspects of his character that you found most interesting?

A: To prepare for this role, I started reading his autobiography as soon as I heard I got the role. I made sure to understand the flow of his sentences and his general ways of speaking. I needed to make sure I portrayed his character extremely accurately. It was obviously a challenge to portray a historic character accurately, but judging by the reactions of the general audience, I was definitely able to impress them.

Q: What emotions did you feel being while part of this celebration?

A: It was a little nerve-racking at first because we never officially rehearsed it before. The day of the event was my first time rehearsing it. I was never used to the way the event was set up, so I definitely felt a little nervous.

Q: What are some key takeaways from this unique experience?

A: As challenging as it was, it teaches you to become very quick on your feet. As I walked to the Second Bank, I was asked questions immediately by the people in the crowd and I needed to answer the questions like Franklin. Some questions were very challenging, but I was able to think quickly on my feet.