Seasonal Depression

What is seasonal depression and how to manage it?
Graphic by Ilana Zahavy ’24/staff

When the winter season comes around each year, bringing shorter days and dropping temperatures, it often brings gloomy moods as well. Many people struggle to stay positive during this cold and dark time of the year.

While the “winter blues’’ are common, for some, the melancholy is more intense. This leads to a type of depression known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). According to the University of Texas Medical Branch, SAD impacts about ten million Americans each year. The disorder is related to the reduction of natural light exposure during the winter season, which can interrupt the body’s circadian rhythm and reduce serotonin production. This imbalance can cause a range of symptoms, including sadness, fatigue, weight gain, and lack of interest in activities.

Pennsylvanians may be particularly susceptible to this affliction, given the state’s Northern location, where winters can be especially harsh. Pennsylvania’s northern latitude and lengthy winter season contribute to the likelihood of seasonal depression. While approximately six percent of the U.S. population experiences SAD, the prevalence is higher in areas farther from the equator.

CBS News shares that, “Western Pennsylvania is known for two things: producing linebackers and one of the highest prevalence of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) .” Additionally, according to analysts at Quote Wizard, Pennsylvania is the 23rd state in the US with the highest number of cases.

While SAD can impact people of any age, high school students face multiple circumstances that may exacerbate the symptoms. Throughout the winter, they face intense academic responsibilities, extracurricular demands, and social pressures. Additionally, they do not spend as much time outside in the sunshine as they do in the fall, spring, and summer. That makes exercising, an extremely important task, seem harder to do as well.

Although SAD can pose a real obstacle for teens, there are many ways to address and mitigate its difficult effects. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several ways to treat the disorder. One is light therapy, which involves sitting next to a special light box that mimics outdoor light and evokes changes in brain chemicals that elevate mood. The next solution is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which is a type of psychotherapy that can teach people to develop healthy coping mechanisms, challenge negative thoughts, manage stress, and implement healthy lifestyle choices. For other serious cases, there are further steps you can take to alleviate the everyday hardships it brings.

In addition to these formal treatments, general self-care is important. That may involve getting outside, brightening your environment by opening blinds or sitting near windows while working or studying, establishing normal sleep patterns, exercising regularly, making an effort to socialize, and, if possible, planning a trip to a sunny location. Implementing fun things into your days and weeks can also work wonders, even if they are small.

While SAD is a challenging condition, the good news is that it is not necessarily a long-term diagnosis. According to Dr. Robert Gonzalez, a psychiatrist at Hershey Medical Center, “Studies have shown that after several years, about half of patients no longer develop symptoms of SAD.” If you are feeling this, remember: you are not alone and warmer days are ahead!