Recent burglaries trouble township

Read about a range of incidents across LM in which homes have been broken in to during recent months.

In an affluent township such as LM, many may not consider safety a priority concern. However, in recent months, LM township has faced a string of incidents relating to burglaries and break-ins. This came as a shock to many residents as historically, LM is well known for its high measures of safety for its residents. But this recent surge in crime is leaving many residents concerned about their safety. Abraham Fatahia, a father of a junior attending LM stated, “I fear for the safety of my family. It seems like I have to be extra careful especially when it comes to my house and my neighborhood. I don’t even think this should be an issue concerning our lives.”

Early incidents can be dated back to May of this year. LM police reported nine different incidents of burglary, with some involving criminals scaling homes in order to access the upper stories. Shockingly, all reported incidents occurred less than a week from each other, with three incidents occurring exactly one day apart. On May 18 in Ardmore, a rear door was found with an attempted forced entry and a broken door knob. The next day, a property manager in Gladwyne was alerted to a security alarm and discovered a window at the Gladwyne Library which burglars had attempted to forcibly open. Additionally, a homeowner in Bryn Mawr overheard a noise from a second story bedroom window and observed a burglar attempting to rip open the screen. Multiple burglars were seen fleeing through the backyard. On May 20, a Gladwyne resident was on the third floor when a suspect entered the bedroom and fled. While most parts of the second floor were ransacked, details concerning the stolen items were not disclosed.

As of early November, LM police issued a warning to residents after thirteen burglaries were reported since September. Victims have reported missing jewelry, cash, and electronics. Lt. Jim Baitinger of the LMPD reported, “This is a professional group we believe from South America.” He further went on to mention that it was, “more than one group more than likely. They do not want to encounter people in their homes. They will generally look to see if a home is unoccupied.” The LMPD had stated that the group behind these burglaries is organized, waiting for homeowners to leave and mainly committing the crime in the evening. By preying on empty houses, “They will go around back to try to make a rear entrance. They’ll break a window. Break a sliding glass door,” said Baitinger. 

Many of these incidents were reported in Villanova, Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, and Penn Valley, with the police urging residents to check their surveillance camera for any suspicious activities. However, it appears that burglary is not only an issue for LM Township residents. Similarly, Radnor Township also faces ongoing issues with burglary. Radnor police had reported two men who were captured on surveillance video breaking into multi-million dollar homes and stealing thousands of dollars worth of high-end handbags and jewelry. Unfortunately, even with many of the incidents captured on surveillance camera, the orchestrated group behind the burglaries was hard to identify. Battinger pointed out, “We have video surveillance footage. They’re wearing hoods. They have masks. They’re wearing gloves. They’re wearing bulky clothing. The things that we’re finding of evidentiary value are not great at this point.” 

In order to combat this issue, the LMPD is offering a vacant home program. Those who sign up have the opportunity for officers to check their home while they are away. In addition, LM police have also increased marked and unmarked patrol cars near the areas where the burglars have targeted. LM detectives have also continued to work alongside local, state, and federal partners to share criminal intelligence and list potential suspects. For now, it is recommended that any suspicious activity is reported, and we keep all doors and windows locked, especially garage doors. Leaving both interior and exterior lights on as long as possible is also recommended as burglars LM detectives at 610-645-6228.