MLK day of service

LMSD hosted their annual MLK Day of Service at Harriton High School. Various school clubs and organizations held events to raise money and contribute to local charities.
Photos courtesy of Amy Buckman

LMSD’s motto is “Enter to Learn. Go Forth to Serve.” This closely aligns with Martin Luther King Jr.’s message that “everybody can be great—because anybody can serve.” As mentioned by Director of School and Community Relations Amy Buckman, MLK Day of Service “allows our school district community to embody those themes and further develop our sense of community across schools, grade levels, and neighborhoods.”

On January 15, LMSD united for the MLK Day of Service, a tradition the district has hosted for over a decade. The event is organized by Buckman, but it would not be possible without the indispensable time dedicated by numerous volunteers from different school organizations. These volunteers are significant in helping to select a beneficiary organization and design projects for their participants. Home & School Associations (HSAs), National Honors Society (NHS), BuildOn club, and LM and Harriton’s individual student council all played a crucial role in bringing this event to life. LM’s Student Council made “wish and worry” dolls for the Ronald McDonald House of Philadelphia. In addition to the dolls, LM Student Council raised $221 for RMH, donating a dollar for each shot scored in cornhole. Other school organizations ran donation drives, made cards, and organized games.

Every year, the LM community comes through, demonstrating their collective ability to make a positive impact on their neighbors. As Buckman puts it, “[No] matter how old you are or where you come from, we can all help others.” This sentiment was embodied in every aspect of the event, as teachers and students from each school, alongside parents, participated in other activities that benefit those in need. Reflecting on the event, Spanish teacher and event sponsor, Sean Capkin, one of the adult sponsors of the event, said, “I think the event is cool because it is one of the few truly district-wide events where you have high schoolers, middle schoolers, elementary kids, and their parents all interacting at the same time over the course of two hours.”

This year’s event marked yet another great milestone in LM’s commitment to service. With unwavering support from schools and the teachers and students within them, the event was a tremendous success. This year’s MLK Day of Service stands as a symbol of the great collaboration within the community for an exceptional cause, leaving a profound impact on the district and beyond.