When action meets compassion, lives change

Local volunteering in the district and Philadelphia provide diverse and impactful opportunities.
Photo by Jasmine Chang ’26

If you’re looking to start the new year right by giving back to the community, local volunteering is an amazing option! If you don’t know where to start, look no further. Here are 5 great volunteer opportunities right here in Lower Merion and Philly:

1. World Language Festival

On March 8, all LMSD fourth grade students will participate in the World Language Festival held here at LMHS. This event gives students the opportunity to explore the three languages (French, Latin, and Spanish) offered in the LMSD middle schools before having to select one to study daily in fifth grade. There will be games, songs, and interactive stations where students can preview what each class would consist of.There are many ways to help with this event that benefits our future school members. Positions including group leaders, language leaders and photographers are needed! If you’re looking for leadership experience, an opportunity to help future students, or just enjoy working with kids, this is a great volunteer opportunity for you. Reach out to Mrs. Mellet or your language teacher for more information regarding how you can help!

2. Alex’s Lemonade Stand

Photo by Jasmine Chang ’26

Based in Wynnewood, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation changes the lives of children battling cancer by funding vital research, raising awareness, supporting families, and above all, empowering others to help cure childhood cancer. Between June 1 through June 30, ALSF supporters can register to operate lemonade stands across the country to raise money for childhood cancer. Visit their website alexslemonade.org to register your stand at no cost. You not only get to join the fight against childhood cancer by spreading the word, but get to enjoy the impact of this meaningful endeavor!! 

3. MLK Afternoon of Service/Broad Street Ministry 

The visionary and hopeful Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.” On January 12 in the Harriton cafeteria, this quote and its meaning came to life. Hundreds of great students, parents, families, teachers, and staff gathered together to help serve those in need! One station included a bracelet and card making activity for kids who receive services from The Philadelphia Anti-Violence Project, organized by LMHS student council members. A great thing about this particular event was that people of all ages could participate.  For example, my mom (who’s a co-president of the Welsh Valley HSA) and I helped direct and supervise kids on creating kindness cups for the Broad Street Ministry. First, we decorated the outside with messages of hope and kindness, and then filled the cups with snacks, medicine, and toiletries. There’s no need to worry if you missed this event, it takes place annually! Plus, you can help those in need by collecting donations to the Broad Street Ministries all year long. It’s an organization that helps Philadelphians living in deep poverty stabalize their lives through a variety of social services. Next year, become a volunteer at the event by signing up through student council or simply contacting an LMSD HSA to ask how you can help!

4. For Goodness Cakes

A great way to spread positivity, warmth, and frosting is to become a volunteer baker at For Goodness Cakes! They’re looking for volunteers to join their sprinkle squad of intrepid bakers to help put smiles on the faces of children and young adults who have dealt with neglect, poverty, or abandonment. Thise opportunity is flexible and you don’t have to be a master cake decorator to join. Even by delivering a simple cake, you can help someone hurting and give them hope and joy.Get started by going on their website and joining the initiative. 

5. The Plaid Pajamas Project

It’s not only important, but vital for every kid to be bundled up during the winter season to ensure health and safety.. The Plaid Pajamas Project provides kids warm, comfy, and clean pajamas by collecting donations from loads of generous families in the area. You can help this project by hosting a pajama drive, organizing a sorting and wrapping party, or donating small-balance gift cards to purchase pajamas for the project. Even a small act like a donation can make a huge difference for a kid’s life. Pajama collections happen year long and you can connect with Plaid Pajamas to arrange for drop off. They will make sure to find someplace in need to take your donation.