Swimming to success

The girls’ swim and dive team has seen immense success this season, and there could be more to come.
Photo courtesy of Laney Harris ’24

The LM girls’ swim and dive team is off to a flying start to the season. After facing shortened and modified seasons due to COVID-19 for the past two years, the 2022-2023 season was the first year they were back to a normal season in the pool. The team did not disappoint, sending all three relay events (200 medley, 200 freestyle, and 400 freestyle), as well as sending multiple individual swimmers to the PIAA District I Championships. They even sent a relay team and two individual performers to compete in the PIAA State Championship in March 2022. In the 2022-23 season, the Aces finished fourth at the Central League Championships, with outstanding performances from all grade levels. The fourth-place finish was an improvement from the sixth-place finish the year prior.

Although these accomplishments are impressive, the current team is already outshining their 2022-23 season. They currently stand tied for first in the central league with Conestoga with an undefeated dual  meet record. They faced Radnor early in the season and took them down by just a few points. Additionally, the Aces beat Garnet Valley, a team known for their strong dual meet performances. Heading into the Central League Championships, LM’s undefeated record should give them a significant boost in terms of scoring.

However, it is not just their record that proves their worth this year. The Ace’s rankings have been superb this year. There are eight events in high school swim meets. The team currently has at least one swimmer ranked in the top five in the Central League in all eight events. This impressive accomplishment shows huge promise for the upcoming championship season, as the depth and range of the team will hopefully bring in points from many different events. LM has also already qualified for the District I Championships in all three relays: the 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle relay, and the 400 freestyle relay. The program also has the fastest times in the central league in all three of these events, further showing their range.

The fantastic performance of the team would not be possible without the bond of the swimmers in and out of the water. Many of the swimmers compete for both a club team and the school team. This level of dedication and love for the sport is hard to find in so many swimmers on one high school team. The team is very close and their sense of community is apparent. Addison Lawrence ’24 noted this bond by saying, “One thing I love is the energy on the team. Everyone is so supportive of one another’s goals and we all push eachother to be the best swimmers we can be.” Although the goals of LM’s swimmers may look different, from a Central League Championship to a first-place finish at the PIAA State Championships, each swimmer is encouraged and cheered on by their teammates to attain their goals.

Moving forward, the Aces are looking at a record-breaking season for the LM history books. School records are in  reach for many swimmers, including both individual and relay events. Currently, there is an impressive number of swimmers that have qualified for the PIAA District I Championship, which took place in late February. This list includes Alexa Conner ’24, Laney Harris ’24, Anna Dymek ’25, Katie Potts-Drew ’26, Iris Xiong ’26, Annabel Bailey ’27, Briana Klock ’27, and Viola Wilent ’27. The team is also attending the Central League Championship meet in early February, where more District-qualifying times will hopefully be made. With all of these accomplishments so early in the season, there is a great air of excitement approaching the championship season. Already, many swimmers have their eyes set on the PIAA State Championships. Only time will tell, but it is looking like this team will finish the season successfully this year.