Inside the Jazz Fest

LM hosted its annual Jazz Fest this March, in which schools from around the area came to showcase their talents, compete for awards, and share their love of jazz music with the community.
Photos courtesy of Byron Purcell

In the midst of touring other high schools throughout the area, the LM Jazz Band hosted its annual LM Jazz Festival on Friday, March 8. Twelve jazz ensembles from the area traveled to LM to compete in a night of big band jazz alongside exhibition performances from various LM ensembles. Schools such as Harriton, North Penn, Upper Moreland and Camden Creative Arts each performed three tunes that were then analyzed, commentated on, and scored by a panel of experienced musician judges. Despite not being eligible for competition as the hosts, LM ensembles got their share of the spotlight, performing in between acts and at the end of the night.

Performing classic arrangements by the likes of Duke Ellington and John Coltrane alongside contemporary charts, the bands displayed an impressive and enjoyable array of tunes. The LM Jazz Band, directed by saxophonist Andrew Neu, performed the tunes “The World is a Ghetto” by War, “Emily” by Johnny Mandel, “A Mis Abuelos” by Arturo Sandoval, and “In a Mellow Tone” by Ellington to close out the event. Trombonist Henry Koban Payne ’25 had the honor of directing “Emily,” featuring Joseph Fiore ’24 on vibraphone. Reflecting on this opportunity, Koban Payne expressed gratitude, stating that “it doesn’t feel real to be able to do all this. I’m incredibly thankful to Mr. Neu and the band.” As for his fellow bandmates, he had only positive remarks. “It’s great to have this chance to lead a group of people that I know so well,” he expressed. “It’s always a party on stage. Everyone has so much energy and it just always feels good.”

The LM Jazz Band is not the school’s only jazz ensemble that performed. Other small groups, organized by LM students, rehearsed jazz standards by historic and influential jazz musicians throughout the night. The LM Jazz Combo, led by Koban Payne, consists of a select group of musicians from the core band that perform standards and expand their musician-
ship through focused improvisation. Each member has dedicated many hours to practicing and honing in on their craft, and their talent was well-showcased by their performance. The group played saxophonist Charlie Parker’s “Scrapple from the Apple” and Ellington’s “In a Sentimental Mood” in between bands.

Another group that performed, Key of She, is an organization founded by LM alumna Olivia Hugart ’19 dedicated to encouraging and empowering women in jazz. The jazz scene has long been male-dominated, but Isabella Gilligan ’26 and Gabby Andrade ’26 are working to make sure that Hugart’s legacy lives on in LM. Gilligan, Andrade, and other female jazz musicians from LM and Bala Cynwyd Middle School performed the standards “Blue Bossa” by trumpeter Kenny Dorham and “Straight, No Chaser” by pianist Thelonius Monk.

The LM Jazz festival is an event focused on the spirit of jazz, giving local student musicians the opportunity to showcase their talents and be rewarded for it, not only through tangible prizes, but also the thrill of seeing people fall in love with the music as they perform it live. From the saxophones to the rhythm section, each member’s passion for their craft shines on stage. Although the event is over, the LM Jazz Band will continue to carry forward and perform at various schools and venues throughout the remainder of the year.