LMSD program addresses over enrollment

High rate of enrollment forces LMSD to put a hold on the partner schooling policy.

As LMSD reaches record-high enrollment rates, the question remains: is there enough room for everyone? In an attempt to answer this question, the district planned to expand their partner-schooling policy from just the six elementary schools to both high schools. The partner schooling plan places caps on grade levels throughout once they have reached a targeted class size. When a grade section is “capped,” students who are either new to the district or made an intra-district move will have to enroll in a partner school (another LMSD elementary school that can accommodate additional students). However, LMSD has made the decision to pause the plan for the 2024-25 school year.

Photo courtesy of LMSD

Before understanding the district’s decision, one must understand the impacts of partner-schooling. This plan proves to be necessary as, according to LMSD, “enrollment is at its highest levels in more than forty years. Across the District, many elementary classrooms are at or nearing capacity in certain grade levels and sections.” While this plan addresses enrollment growth, the school board is concerned about the long-term and short-term costs associated with partner schooling. Short-term costs could include necessary construction of temporary classrooms to accommodate larger grade sizes, while the long-term costs could include new staff members and other operation costs. The board is currently looking to find short-term strategies to minimize the impact of enrollment growth while they plan when, or if, they will implement the partner schooling plan. Despite worries from the board, LMSD claims that partner schooling “impacts a relatively small number of students,” “helps minimize disruptions to the school program,”and is a “fiscally-responsible strategy.”

Regardless of the benefits and consequences of the partner schooling plan, the district has paused the implementation of partner schooling for new enrollments. Attributing their decision to a major review of projected enrollment rates from the Montgomery County Planning Commission, data from high school students living the school “choice zone,” and information from the two initiatives: LMSD Smart Start and Full-Day K, the school district states that, “high school partner-schooling is not immediately necessary. While partner-schooling may be reinstated as the start of the 2024-2025 school years draws closer and additional students enroll, for now, the plan is being paused.” If high-school-level partner schooling was implemented, students would be redistributed to attend Harriton if LM reached capacity.

At this time, normal protocols regarding LM attendance are still in place, meaning students who live in the choice zone and LM catchment will remain assigned there. However, per the LMSD website, “the District reserves the option to reinstate high school partner-schooling at such time that enrollment levels make it prudent to do so.”

Whether or not the district actually plans to implement partner schooling will be determined by any enrollment growth rates prior to the 2024-25 school year. LMSD may use partner schooling to create better balanced learning environments and alleviate the impact of the district’s growing student population.