Maximizing exercise

Learn various ways you can incorporate movement in your daily life, regardless of where it takes place.

Exercise has an innumerable amount of benefits: better mood, increased cognitive function, and an increase in lifespan. There are also a ton of ways that a person can exercise, so everyone can find something they enjoy, whether you lift, do yoga, run, swim, or something else. 

According to Piedmont.org, whether you exercise inside or outside doesn’t matter, as the results will be roughly the same. If indoor, at-home exercise is your preferred method, the benefits are vast. The website fitnessgallary.com notes that it is highly convenient and it is much simpler to work into your life then outdoor exercise or going to a gym. You have a lot more flexibility when it comes to what you actually choose to do with your workouts, and you don’t have to worry about germs from anyone else. If you worry about being judged at the gym, the privacy of your home eliminates that worry; you can focus on feeling good during your workout and being happy, instead of what someone else thinks. If budget is a concern, look no further, because at-home exercise is significantly cheaper than a gym or other alternative. However, if you lack motivation to exercise during the winter months where indoor exercise is essentially often the only option, changing your mindset about the way you view fitness is a good first step. By simply changing your mindset you can create discipline and ensure you enjoy what you do.

Maybe you prefer outdoor activities? They are also loaded with benefits. Piedmont.org shows how being outside, even if you aren’t exercising, benefits your mood and helps with seasonal depression. We, as humans, need to be outside in the sun and nature, where we originally came from and are biologically programmed to be. Hospitalized patients recover quicker when they see trees and listening to the sounds of birds chirping is very beneficial for our moods. Outdoor exercise can also be better for our health, as the changing terrain is more difficult to navigate than a flat indoor space. Outdoor exercise is also highly budget-friendly because you don’t need a gym or alternative space to be fit. It is also more social to exercise outside than in, and you can foster and grow connections that way.

Now that you know the benefits of each option, what should you do? With the spring weather approaching, spend as much time outside as possible. How? If you have a free, sit in the courtyard instead of the hallways. Try to do homework outside and, instead of scrolling through TikTok, go for a walk. LM provides ways to integrate time outside in your day, as on warm days gym classes tend to head to Arnold Field. The outdoor seating of the cafeteria is also open, and many outdoor spring sports are starting up. Overall, I recommend trying to spend as much time outside as you can.