A chance at redemption

After losing a crushing amount of seniors from last year, LM boys’ tennis team is prepared to have a successful season, with aims to redeem themselves from last year’s crushing defeat in states.

As you travel down Fairhill Road, look for a metal placard hanging on the fence at the LM Tennis Courts. This sign highlights the many LM State Championships and Finals appearances for both the boys’ and girls’ tennis teams. Furthermore, it serves as an ongoing reminder for the current team members that although seniors graduate and the program continues to change, success is always within reach. After suffering from some major graduation losses, the boys’ tennis team is entering this season with the need to reestablish a solid base.

“We lose varsity seniors every year and the goal still remains the same: to win States. This team doesn’t know any other goal,” said head coach Harris Mailman. That goal was almost a reality when in their 2023 season, the team was one match away from a States victory. Unfortunately, they lost to Conestoga High School in the finals. Now, the Aces are counting down the days until they have another chance at the states title.

Number one singles and varsity captain Brian Yi ’24 shared, “I hope to have a great last year playing as a captain and working hard to better myself and everyone on the team. Whether this leads to another state championship or not, I look forward to having a fun season.”

“We need to keep the team unified and make the most of every practice we have,” says team captain Hayden Massotti ’25.

A recent Tennis Nation article highlighted the benefits of high school tennis for both a student’s physical and mental well-being. It noted, “As we head into tennis season, it’s a good time to remember that sports are a powerful force that become the basis for bringing people together, empowering one’s sense of self, and providing a future of healthy relationships. While we can experience tennis as children, it really isn’t until we experience it in high school that it takes on a shape all its own.” The LM boys’ tennis team begins its 2024 season with a similar force, with camaraderie and an opportunity for each player to shape the team’s future.

Under the guidance of Mailman, the talent of the current upperclassmen, the skill of phenom Nathan Dolgushev ’26, and enthusiasm from freshman players, we can be optimistic that the team will continue as a spirited and competitive group. It is also important to give a shout-out to the recent graduates who helped to get us here—Stoyan Angelov ’23, Mark Lancaster ’23, Adam Lee ’23, Ones Tuhenya ’23 and David Liu ’23.

While the tennis team is gunning for a strong season this year, most previous years being successful too, tennis has always been one of the most underappreciated LM sports. This is a reminder to all LM students that you can help the team succeed by making your way to matches throughout the season. The season started on March 13 with an away win against Great Valley , but there’s plenty more time to support and cheer on the team.