Fashion activism at State of the Union

Politicians not only expressed their opinions on capital, but wore them on their sleeves. Fashion was a crucial tool in the state of the union.

During the State of the Union assembly on March 7, President Joseph Biden gave a speech to legislators and government employees addressing the issues he has combated through the past year, as well as his agenda for the rest of his term. These following topics were the most prominent points in his speech: reproductive rights, border control, and the Israel-Hamas war. Many members of Congress decided to show their opinions, not verbally, but visually, with clothing for the event. These choices in garments demonstrate the “statement” in “fashion statement.”

Many female democratic representatives wore “suffragette white” in support of women’s rights and reproductive rights. This likely symbolizes their frustration towards the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, which enabled the constitutional right to abortion. Specifically, their attire could also symbolize frustrations with the recent agendas of Alabama legislators’ efforts to restrict in-vitro fertilization treatment. The “suffragette white” color, similar to those worn by suffragettes fighting for the 19th amendment, shows solidarity with women and womens’ issues.

Another issue addressed in clothing and accessories was the Israel-Hamas war, from both sides. Those in support of Palestine, including some progressive House Democrats, wore keffiyehs: a patterned Arab headdress, paired with signs calling for a ceasefire. Conversely, Congressman Greg Landsman (D-Ohio) showed his support for Israel by wearing a sticker that displayed the number 153, which is the amount of days it had been since the attack on October 7. Both fashion displays came from the same party, showcasing the division on this issue. The Ukraine-Russia war was also displayed, with Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-New Jersey) wearing a blue and yellow scarf, the colors of Ukraine’s flag. 

The most notable fashion statement would have to be from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Georgia), who wore a bright red jacket with pins and a tee-shirt underneath, topped off with a MAGA (Make America Great Again) hat. The red is a nod to the Republican party, and the hat shows her support for former President Donald Trump’s reelection. Support for President Trump was also shown by representative Troy Nehls (R-Texas), a shirt with Trump’s mugshot saying “Never Surrender.” Circling back to Rep. Greene, her main activism point, along with many other Republicans, was to  “Stop the Biden Border Crisis” movement. She, along with many other Republican attendees, wore pins with this slogan upon their lapels. Another frequently spotted pin was the Laken Riley pin. Laken Riley, a Georgia nursing student, was killed by a man who had illegally crossed the border. Her death has become a focal point for bringing awareness to border control. The shirt Greene wore inscribed “Say Her [Riley’s] Name,” a common phrase used by protesters after the death of George Floyd in 2020. 

Fashion undoubtedly plays an important role in activism. From the border crisis to the Israel-Hamas war, people used what they were wearing to be louder than the words they said. Fashion on the Hill usually goes unnoticed, but at this event, it allowed people to express their opinions in a strikingly simple visual manner.