Rewriting history

The LM Baseball team is on the come up; cheer them on as they work to return to the playoffs.
Rewriting+history
Photos courtesy of Jeanine Heck

For many years, LM baseball has been a joke. The Aces have just one Central League title from nineteen years ago. Up until last year, the Aces had not made the playoffs in five years. The last time they had won a playoff game was back in 2005: the same team that won the Central League. However, last year marked a turning point for the program. By beating Neshaminy in the first round of district playoffs, LM baseball found a new beginning. After losing the star-studded senior class of 2023 including three Division I recruits, the team finds itself on track to do even better.

Although the team lost some talented players, a drastic shift in the team’s chemistry and mentality has helped propel the Aces to high ranks in the Central League halfway through the season. Team captain and Catholic University of America baseball commit Jack Scholz ’24 explained, “This year’s team is very connected as a family and we all want to win for each other.” According to Brody Slensky ’25, a Main Line Athlete of the Week, “no one is bigger than the team this year. Everyone is equal. Everyone has trust in their teammates.” Scholz continued to add that “nobody really cares how [they do] individually, as long as we win as a team.” This was repeated by Eastern Carolina University commit Van Willner ’24, reflecting that “caring about winning as a team rather than individual stats” has played a huge role in the team’s success. Best said by Nate Dresnin ’24, “I want to win. If [playing out of position] is what the team needs to win I’m gonna give it my all.”

While a change in attitude has been monumental for the Aces, one must not overlook the individual growth in the program and the stellar freshman class. Through Willner’s first four starts, he is undefeated and has yet to give up an earned run. Lincoln University commit Isaiah Negron ’24 threw six shutout innings against Strath Haven, last year’s Central League champs and 5A runner-up in states. In fact, only one player on Strath Haven throughout the entire game advanced to third base. The pitching staff’s utter dominance has taken over games. Backed by an exceptional defense, opposing teams have struggled to produce runs. As for the standout freshman class, four have already earned themselves valuable playing time on the varsity level, two of which are consistent starters. To Nicholas Dragut ’27, playing up on varsity is a challenge: “Players are bigger, stronger, and faster than what I’m used to.” However, Dragut has found ways to succeed. “I had a bad game against Marple Newtown. After the game, I went to work on my swing and made some small adjustments.” Those small adjustments helped Dragut hit a walk-off single the next day against Strath Haven.

LM baseball is on track to make program history. With an in-league record of 6-2 halfway through the regular season, the Aces sit on top of the standings thus far. However, the team is taking it one step at a time. A loss in any of the next eight regular season games could cost the Aces a Central League title. As a part of the team myself, this is an exciting time to be in the program. With as much young talent as we have in the program, Willner projects that in the future, “we can expect winning baseball teams.”

Graphic by Julia Zorc ’24