LM Music’s Senior Showcase

May 15 is the LM Music Department’s senior showcase. Take a look to see how different performers are preparing
Graphic by Eliza Liebo ’25/Staff

Spring is the busiest time of the year for LM’s music department. Once May arrives, it will be a non-stop flow of performances, as each ensemble takes the stage to put the culmination of the last five months of their work out on display for the audience to enjoy. Alongside the large group concerts, one date is unique in its own right: The Senior Showcase.

On May 15, seniors in orchestra, wind ensemble, choir and more will perform pre-selected pieces of music in order to showcase their talent and dedication to their craft throughout the last four years. From violin concertos to tuba solos, each musician is given the opportunity to participate. The music department’s staff, including Aaron Datsko, Jessica Villante, Joshua Hunnex, and Joshua Cooperstein, all work tirelessly to organize and encourage students to perform. Villante, the orchestra conductor, speaks on what the Senior Showcase means for the music faculty: “For us, we get the privilege of seeing these aspiring musicians come in as freshmen who have loads to learn, morph into outstanding players who are core members of our ensembles, some taking on principal roles, and lead and inspire their fellow musicians.” Additionally, the artists do not have to perform alone. While picking out what they want to play, the soloists are allowed to utilize their fellow musicians as they can perform with the ensemble that best fits their vision. “Being able to demonstrate their growth and being able to provide a unique opportunity for our students to perform their music just to their liking is something that we take great pride in,” Villante adds. What music is typically performed at the annual showcase? Each class of students always includes its own slew of creative
and innovative musicians.

The concert always surprises the audience with its variety of performances. At last year’s showcase, a beautiful vocal duet of Billy Joel’s “Vienna” warmed the hearts of the crowd, and a ferocious display of violin virtuosity was
shown in Pablo de Sarasate’s “Zigeunerweisen,” leaving jaws on the floor. There is no limit to what can be shown
at the showcase, and this year’s concert is shaping up to be a night filled with classic concertos. Luke Meyer ’24 will
perform the second movement of Joseph Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto alongside Natalie Chen ’24 and Ritsu Nakagawa ’24’s performances of the first and third movements of Felix Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto, all accompanied by the symphony orchestra. Rounding out the night with a more contemporary piece, Matthew Walters ’24 is performing the delightful “The Old Grumbly Bear” by Julius Fucik on tuba, accompanied by the wind ensemble. Senior Showcase is a highly anticipated night that is sure to be filled with great music, fun, and bittersweet emotions as the seniors get their send off. Be sure to come out to the
Senior Showcase this May 15.