Singing success

Simona Fisher ’24’s induction to All-State Choir is the cherry on top of a stellar career in the LM Music Department.

LMSD is known for its prestigious music —from the exemplary instrumental and vocal education, which starts in elementary school, to the multiple high-level course offerings in artistic instruction, including both International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement programs. However, the acclaim for the arts does not stop at a community level, and LM’s Simona Fisher
’24 is proof. Fisher’s excellence within the performing arts has recently been recognized by the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA), the second largest music association nationally, through her acceptance into the All-State Choir.

The All-State Choir is among the highest forms of student performance state-wide, as thousands of students go through an assortment of auditions in order to earn a spot in the choir. Fisher may have had her first experience with an external choir for the first time, but she has been singing for a long time and has been involved in school ensembles since elementary school. Throughout high school, the support she has received from teachers, specifically choir leader and teacher Joshua Hunnex, has  been tremendous. Fisher states, “The music department, Hunnex specifically, has been a big part in increasing my confidence in performing.” She went on to describe the choir teacher’s prominent saying, “Everyone that’s here is meant to be there.” Fisher continues, “is what increased my musical ability to perform.” She auditioned first for the district choir. Then, during the first tryout, she displayed both preparation for one song and adaptation for another “mystery” piece. Fisher also displayed her practical music skill of sight-reading, a topic taught in LM music classes. Fisher moved up to regional-wide auditions, where the process was of a similar caliber. The difference was the lack of the sight-reading portion and the added pressure.

After one final tryout phase, Fisher was accepted into Pennsylvania’s All-State Choir, which signified her invitation to the All-State Fes,tival, a prevalent event in the Commonwealth since 1936. The PMEA Conference and Festival spanned from April 17 to April 20 and took place at the Bayfront Convention Center in Erie, Pennsylvania. Primary performances were made by six musical groups comprising students ranging from Chester to Crawford county. The 2024 All-State Choir now holds more than 200 members—people from all over Pennsylvania, distributed throughout its twelve districts and six regions. The variety of people was a main factor in Fisher’s experience, who reflected upon how “cool [it had been] to be able to work in a group with other musicians who are so dedicated.” Not only that, but Fisher and other All-State Choir members were conducted by renowned conductor Dr. Christopher Jackson, whois the current Artistic Director and Conductor of America’s oldest Bach choir, The Bach Choir of Bethlehem—a fact that further amplifies Fisher’s accomplishment.

After leaving LMSD, also known as PMEA District Eleven, early on Wednesday morn- ing, she arrived at Erie after a six-hour drive. Fisher described how “Thursday and Friday [consisted of] rehearsing all day as an ensemble and each night we saw a different performance.” She watched multiple awe-inspiring performances during those days: the United States’ Army Band on Thursday and the All State Acapella Group and Jazz Band on Friday. With the continuous hours of practice, the experience was proof that, as Fisher adds, “Hard work does not go to waste, and it’s awesome to see my hard work paying off.” Simona Fisher’s experience with the All-State Choir was her last hurrah before graduating.