Tyrone Ross

Over the more than three years that I worked with you, you were more than just my boss. You were like family; you were and always will be my brother.
Tyrone+Ross

Dear Sean,

Where do I begin? There are so many great moments and memories that I could go on for pages and pages, but I will do my best to keep this short and on track.

In our very first conversation, you gave me a piece of advice that I will never forget. You said that in order to be successful here, always do what’s best for students and use that as a guide to make decisions, not whatever rule might be in place. For over three years, I had a front row seat to watch you pour your heart and soul into every student every single day. You always wanted students to find success, knowing that success looks different for everybody.

Over the more than three years that I worked with you, you were more than just my boss. You were like family; you were and always will be my brother. I learned so much from you and not only became a better administrator but a better person. I will always remember how much you cared for the students and staff at LM and how you beamed with pride when talking about your own kids and wife’s accomplishments.

I always think of this quote when I think of you in reference to what it was like working for you: “Train people so they are ready to go to the next level but treat them so good that they do not want to leave.” You were a great leader who could motivate change, promote your vision, and saw your role as an educator first and an administrator second. Your door was always open to anyone who needed to talk with you. You truly had a vested interest in every student, past or present, and all staff in the building. I remember walking out of your office after the first time you explained Lunch and Learn, thinking, “This guy must be nuts.” Who sets 1500 students free for an hour every day? Well, you did because it is best for students.

Although you are no longer with us, not a day goes by where I don’t think of a story or wish I could just walk in your office and talk like we used to. Sean, you will always play a big part in my educational career and life. I will use the lessons that I have learned from you to continue to grow as an administrator. I miss you Sean. I promise that I will do my best to honor and carry your legacy forward. Rest In Peace, my friend.

Hughes with his fellow Assistant Principals. | Photo courtesy of LMSD Office of School and Community Relations