Heather Van Horn

Mr. Hughes’s presence and kindness made that event special for the students in attendance who heard and felt his support, enthusiasm, and acceptance.

Mr. Hughes worked to make Best Buddies an official club at LM over ten years ago. He understood that our students with special education needs were an integral part of our community and their inclusion and acceptance by our students in regular education was integral to building LM’s character. The mindset he brought to helping the group get started and assisting with events throughout the years was a lasting contribution to many hundreds of students.

One particular event Mr. Hughes attended was the Best Buddies Fashion Show at Neiman Marcus. We asked him to speak at the event as our Guest of Honor. His big smile radiated positivity as he entered the room in his signature suit and bowtie, looking dapper as always. Mr. Hughes’s presence and kindness made that event special for the students in attendance who heard and felt his support, enthusiasm, and acceptance. Whether in the hallway or at a big event, he always took time to tell the students how valued they are and how special Best Buddies was. His legacy within the club is priceless.