Cross country championships

The boys and girls cross country teams are running hard in their post seasons.

On Saturday, October 15, after a season full of change and adjustment, LM’s cross-country teams competed at the Central League Championships. Under the leadership of new coaching staff, Assistant Coach Sean Capkin for the girls and head and
assistant coaches Neal Berman and Isaac Jennings for the boys both teams finished in the top half of the league at Centrals. For the girls, impressive performances from Lela Miller ’24, Sarah France ’24, and Michelle Kelly ’23 secured a sixth-place
finish. For the boys, Sarem Khan ’24 and Alex Goonewardene ’24 took fifth and sixth place with a pair of tough performances. Andrew Gannon ’23 and Ethan Murray ‘24 finished eighth and fifteenth, carrying the boys to third-place overall. Both teams will now turn their focus to varsity districts at Lehigh University on Friday, October 28. Most of the boys’ District Championship-winning team from last year has gone off to college, but new captains Blum ’23, McGreevey ’23, Gannon ’23,
Goonewardene ’24, and Khan ’24 are looking to lead a relatively young team to great heights. Sarah France ’24 emphasized the improvement she has noticed throughout the season, saying “We’ve had so many girls take over a minute off their 5k times from last year, and we are preparing to take even more off as we approach both the varsity and JV district one championships.”

Both the boys and girls teams will be competing at districts in late October, where they will be fighting for spots in the state meet either in teams or as individual qualifiers. It has been a season of transition for LMXC, but a successful one nonetheless. And, there’s still plenty of time for these talented athletes to show that despite the comings and goings of runners and coaches, the teams’ history of success will continue.