Get out to vote

Reynolds explains the reasons why our student body needs to pay more attention to voting.
Graphic by Eliza Liebo ’25/Staff

For LM students, elections may not be the first thing on their agenda as the pressure of balancing academics, sports, and extracurriculars can be overwhelming. But the upcoming elections will be the first time many students are eligible to vote, and these new voters must be politically active to ensure a brighter future for themselves. At the beginning of the 116th Congress, the average congress person was 57.6 years old, whereas the average senator was 62.9 years old. Young people should get involved in politics because the decisions made will affect them in the long run compared to older generations. However, policies debated currently do not reflect young people’s priorities.

This election is a turning point and it is important to make your voice heard. Inflation, climate change, and public services all are on the line next fall. Economics will play a key role in the lives of those who are voting for the first time. Many of these first-time voters will be financially independent, and if it continues to cost an arm and a leg to just feed yourself, put gas in your car, and pay off student loans, young voters need to choose a candidate that takes into account those struggles- a candidate that will put the working class first, rather than give tax cuts to the upper class in the name of “trickle-down economics.”

Twenty-three percent of voters aged 18-29 considered climate change an important issue according to Tuft’s CIRCLE organization. Quite frankly, it should be an issue for first time voters from LM as the continued frequency of hurricanes and extreme weather caused by climate change could start to affect where LM students want to live after high school. As places like the Gulf Coast are destroyed, young people who can vote need to get involved and vote for a president who handles this climate situation appropriately.

The reasons why young people should get involved in politics, especially first-time voters in upcoming elections, are extensive but one may wonder how someone should go about developing their beliefs. The best solution is to research. You should go in-depth into what each candidate represents and what beliefs they hold; going about this in a way with no bias is crucial as the media can sway voters to either political affiliation. According to the University of Oregon, the media does this by choosing what to cover and what not to cover and focusing solely on the front runners of an election. This puts lesser known candidates at a disadvantage and makes elections less diverse. Using known, reliable sources like the PEW Research Center instead of one known for attacking or defending political parties is critical in your search for what political beliefs you hold. Try not to let outside sources like your family or friends influence you either, as these are your beliefs and your voice matters.

The challenges LM students will face are being directly addressed in the 2024 election, and therefore, participation in the political process is crucial. Research who you want to vote for with the least bias possible and make sure that these are your beliefs, not the echo of someone else’s. These upcoming elections will be critical for the future of the government and students’ voices need to be heard.