Tension over Taiwan

Bergheiser discusses the current tensions between the US and China over Taiwan.

Could real conflict between the world’s two largest powers, the United States and China, really be something to worry about? This probably sounds familiar. Your parents have likely told stories about their generation fearing global conflict during the Cold War era of the 1980s, when a war between the U.S. and Soviet Union seemed imminent, but it’s hard to translate that fear to today. Tensions between two countries like this seem so far away from our lives here in Lower Merion, but the current issues that plague the relationship between China and the United States are very real. 

So, first of all, what’s happening? America and China both shape the world in different ways – Hollywood, hip-hop, and so many other aspects of our culture are spread across China, while they manufacture massive amounts of raw materials and many common items like the laptops and phones we all use daily. The sheer influence and power that both nations have make them naturally inclined to be at odds with each other. That tension is now playing out over the issue of Taiwan, the small island located just to the south of China. Taiwan is an interesting anomaly in the world. It’s only recognized as a sovereign nation by thirteen other countries, not including the U.S. Even though the U.S. doesn’t recognize Taiwan as an actual country, we are still one of its most important supporters and defenders. Taiwan is a hot-button issue for politicians here and there alike, and even though it seems unthinkable for a war to break out between the world’s largest superpowers, there’s definitely fear and anxiety over it. 

In an interview in September 2022, President Biden said that the U.S. would defend Taiwan using military force in the case of an “unprecedented attack” by China.  No previous presidential administration has confirmed that before, meaning that this comment opens a new chapter in the tensions. The Biden administration did speak on this later, however, saying that “there is no change in our policy” regarding Taiwan. Despite no official policy change, the statement exacerbates the potential of conflict if China does launch an attack. Obviously, it’s good to be informed, but I don’t think the current tensions between the two countries warrant any kind of panicking. We rely on China so heavily for the everyday goods that are essential to our daily lives: from microwaves, to phones, to just about everything plastic. They’re just as heavily reliant on us, as we buy all of those products along with the rest of the world. 

This means that both powers would have too much to lose if armed conflict were to occur – it would disrupt just about everything politically and economically in the world. Unless some major change occurs soon, I don’t think the strained relationship between the nations will result in a major conflict – there’s just too much at stake here, and both President Biden and China’s president Xi Jinping seem to know this. Despite the relatively low chances of a conflict, the tension between the world’s two most powerful countries is still an interesting geopolitical issue that everyone in our generation should pay at least a little attention to.