Fundraising this fall

An in-depth look at how various LM teams raise money
Graphic by Annie Zhao ’24/Staff

School sports play an essential role in the lives of many students at LM. However, the ability of LM sports teams to thrive largely depends on their funding. From uniforms and equipment to transportation and coaching staff, the financial requirements for a successful sports program can be substantial. Oftentimes, teams look to their local communities for their funding. Even though different teams have different strategies for fundraising, they all share one purpose: for LM sports teams to receive the funding they require to thrive.

The girls’ cheerleading team has participated in a multitude of events so far this year, with more potentially on the way. The team has already raised money through car washes, a cheer clinic, and a mums sale. According to Coach Kannengeiszer, the team also plans “to do a night at Shake Shack, DoubleGood, and an Easter egg delivery fundraiser.” In all, the team is committed to making a prosperous future.

The field hockey team has also been working extremeley hard to account for its monetary needs. According to varsity player Lila Schwartzberg ’24, “Some of the profits from merch go to the team.” The team also plans on doing a car wash in the near future. The boys’ soccer team has also been very active in the fundraising process. For their main fundraiser of the year, the team ran a car wash down at Bob Wark’s gas station. In addition to washing cars at this event, they approached drivers sitting at red lights and directly asked for donations to the team. The team’s fundraising efforts have been incredibly successful in raising money for the program. In addition, varsity athlete Owen Bress ’24 notes, “We also have various promotion codes for fast food locations such as Chipotle and Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza.” The girls’ soccer team earns money through concession stands at every home game. Team captain Alex Dore ’24 predicts that the team also may hold a car wash in the future. The boys’ cross country team plans on hosting a spikeball tournament where people can pay to sign up and compete against other LM students. The girls’ cross country team may sell Wawa gift cards to raise funds in the future.
The football team, like in past years, have sold their Blitz Cards to the LM community. By purchasing these coupons, you get discounts at restaurants across LM. In addition, varsity football player Declan Mack ’24 comments, “we had a website and sent out a link to people to buy popcorn and the money went straight to the football program.” Like in previous years, the team is in a strong position to meet their fundraising goals.

As can be seen, LM sports teams have worked hard to ensure they have the means to continue to play their sports. These teams play a large role not just in the lives of the students who participate in them, but to our school community at large. In order for these teams to continue to thrive, we all have a responsibility to help support them when they fundraise.