Editorial: The right to write

The Merionite Editors discuss free speech.

“In publishing the diverse opinions of student editors and members of the student body, The Merionite celebrates the rights of a free press.” We could end our editorial here. However, we felt it necessary to truly examine, and defend, this principle. On the surface, many herald free speech for its ability to allow us to share our opinions without the threat of penal action. But free speech often reveals opinions that conflict with our own. This may be painful, but it is also beautiful. Only through free speech can we realize the range of perspectives and opinions on the topics we care about most deeply.

The Opinions section offers a platform for students to air their voices on a variety of topics. With articles ranging from criticism of cafeteria policies to analysis of the Speaker of the House, this section looks to open discussion amongst students on issues related to LM, our country, and the world as a whole.

Our nation was founded on the principles of freedom of speech–without this foundation, our unprecedented progress would certainly be lessened. For instance, how could political movements be initiated without differing views thrusted in the limelight? The Civil Rights Act was only made possible by free speech and a free press. The progress for LGBTQ+ rights was only made possible by free speech and a free press. The growth of democracy itself is only made possible by free speech and a free press. Contrasting opinions are what make people think about and adapt the status quo.

With this being said, there are limitations to this freedom. If a piece incites violence or harassment against a specific group, whether it be verbal or physical or anything in between, then it is no longer free speech. If a piece contains hate speech, of any capacity, it is no longer free speech by our publication standards. We as an Opinions and Management staff do not condone the publication of such articles. The articles that we do publish are ones that not only meet our standard of publication, but further undergo our rigorous publication process. These articles go through, at a minimum, six stages of editing, ranging from stylistic to grammatical to traditional fact checking. With that in mind, we do not condone violence or abuse against a writer for crafting a piece. Respectful banter and counterarguments are encouraged. However, we will never ac- cept hateful reactions to such pieces. This undermines the fundamental core of freedom of speech, as our Founding Fathers intended, while censoring views of generally minority groups. Censorship is a catalyst for authoritarianism. Authoritarianism is antithetical to democracy.

As LM students, we must put aside our personal biases in favor of a commitment to tolerance and understanding. It is understandably difficult to accept a differing opinion, especially if you have personal affliction regarding the situation discussed. However, we implore you to, at the minimum, be respectful and understanding of opposing views. We encourage you to research the subject discussed and formulate your own unique educated views. We ask that you have thoughtful discussions on a variety of issues. Only through discussion and sharing of ideas can we grow as individuals and as a community. Let’s not burn our bridges of understanding before we build them.

View Comments (1)