Girls volleyball wins Central League

Girls’ volleyball team’s hard work pays off in the league championship.
Photo courtesy of Brooke Johnson ’24

“We had a lot of returning players, so I knew the team was going to be strong, and we had everything it took to do well.” Earlier, Maxpreps ranked the team number one in the state of Pennsylvania, adding a target on the Aces’ backs. Throughout the season, the team focused on improving their mental toughness and communication on the court, which was a challenge but also a key factor to their success. Coach Lauren Perri emphasized that “building confidence early in the season was important because there was a shift from being the underdog to being expected to be number one this season.” The talent and skill was there, all they needed was a huge confidence boost to succeed.

Resultantly, the Aces’ morale and energy were through the roof the day of the championship match. “We were all really hype; the group chat was going wild that day,” says Bella Rauer ’25. Haverford was no easy team to beat, as they had only lost one game this season. The Aces knew they had to bring one hundred percent to the court, which they clearly did. Offensive powerhouse Brooke Johnson ’24 came through with an impressive fourteen kills against the Fords’ defense. In the back row, Johnson and Brown put up incredible numbers with seventeen and 21 digs, respectively. On the front lines, the Aces tallied up thirteen total blocks with the help of Norah Cotter ’24, Jenna DeTemple ’24, and Rauer. When asked about the win, Johnson said, “We just focused on what we had to do, found smart spots in the offense, and our defense was on point with digs, especially blocks.” One could say the Aces were locked in that night.

The Aces advanced into the district playoffs and defeated Conestoga, three sets to one, in the first round. Unfortunately, LM fell short against the tough Bishop Shanahan squad in the second round. The loss sparked emotions throughout the close-knit team as nine seniors embraced their final moments on the court together. Although their season came to a close in districts, they clearly accomplished many remarkable achievements. The CAL title has been anticipated, especially since the Aces have come extremely close in previous years. LM girls’ volleyball has just made history with their astounding run, and a banner for the Aces’ chip has finally found its home.