The tenth annual Hope Classic

The tenth annual Hope Classic was a great success.
Graphic by Julia Zorc ’24/Staff. Top and right photos courtesy of Drew Greenland ’25. Left, center, and bottom photos courtesy of Aaron Silber ’26/Staff

February 6 marked the tenth annual Hope Classic Basketball Game held at LM. Assistant coach Kevin Grugan, a math teacher here at LM, started the Hope Classic, aiming to raise money for the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. Grugan started the tradition because his daughter, Hope, is diagnosed with Angelman’s Syndrome. Grugan stated, “Over these ten years, we have been able to raise, and if we include what the early numbers say for this [Hope Classic], we’ve probably been able to raise about $60,000, which we’ve been able to give towards Angelman’s Syndrome research.”

This year, like most, the LM boys’ basketball team dominated Haverford with a score of 65-50, completing their central league season with an undefeated record of 16-0. With the Aces making big plays left and right, the team consistently shut down the Fords and kept putting points on the board. Adam Herrenkohl ’24, captain of the boys’ basketball team, proudly says, “I believe the team came out for the Hope Classic and delivered a strong performance, getting a blow-out win, and  representing LM and the Grugan family as a whole extremely well.” Despite their victory, the Aces recognized that the Hope Classic meant a lot more than a win or loss; it held significant value to Grugan and served a greater purpose than just a regular high school basketball game.

The LM girls’ team fought hard but ultimately lost against Haverford, ending with a score of 30-50, bringing them to a total record of 10-12. Haverford certainly didn’t have an easy time winning, with the persistent Aces fighting until the end of the fourth quarter. Since the game had so much meaning, the Aces put in sweat and tears and tried their hardest. Alexa Braslow ’26 says, “Overall we came out the jump with a lot of energy, but at the end of the day, Haverford’s size and length were too much.”

While Grugan is not an assistant coach for the girls’ team, both teams played the Hope Classic game with more hustle and fight than any regular season game. Grugan states, “The basketball team has always treated it really positively, I think the players have respected what the night is for my family and have always put out a concentrated effort and have played hard and together, which I think is great.”  Both the girls’ team and the boy’s team have immense respect and ties to Grugan and his family, which inspired them to put everything they had out on the court, despite the challenges both teams faced in game. Braslow adds, “The Hope Classic meant a lot to this school and the community which added extra motivation for us to play hard. It meant a lot to us and we, as a team, are grateful to be involved.”

The fundraising consisted of T-shirt sales, food sales, and ticket sales. Student council members also collected donations from the stands throughout the entirety of both games to make as much money as possible for the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. The Dawg Pound was a sea of pink and spirits were sky high. In the end, the Hope Classic was a success, from meaningful fundraising to entertaining basketball games.