Track and field: strides towards success

With spring sports starting, track and field is gearing up for another successful season, after their successful winter season.

As the winter season comes to a close, the LM track team looks forward to the transition to outdoor competition in the spring season. This winter track season was crowned with many individual and team triumphs. The team is ready to build on their successes moving into warmer, more idyllic weather throughout the spring.

During the winter season, many athletes excelled in their events, and multiple LM runners were able to qualify for the state championship meet. State qualifiers included the distance medley relay team, with Omari Tyler-Dowana ’24 on the 400 meter, Alexander Goonewardene ’24 on the 800 meter, Alexander Mazzeo ’26 on the 1200 meter, and Nicholas Mazzeo ’26 on the 1600 meter. The 4×200 relay team also qualified, consisting of Nick Jeudy ’24, Omari Tyler Dowana ’24, Shane Hermosisima ’25 and David Yunga ’25. Both N. Mazzeo and A. Mazzeo ran individual times in the 3000 meter, qualifying them for nationals, and on top of this feat, N. Mazzeo placed third in the state for his mile time with a school record of  4:13.42. As we transition into spring, these runners, along with the rest of the team, look to improve upon their times in a new season of outdoor competition.

Last year’s spring season ended with a central league championship win, along with many individuals qualifying to compete in districts, states, and even nationals. When asked about the goals for the team this year, senior captain Goonewardene wished to “repeat the central league title and get more individuals from every event to district and states.” There are high hopes for this team; however, they do have the talent necessary to live up to their expectations. All of the state-qualifiers for the winter season are returning, along with many other hungry athletes ready to improve and compete. All of these top competitors have goals they are trying to achieve, and they are all prepared to train and push each other to reach these goals.

Improvement is a significant part of the spring track season, however many runners look forward to more than just the races. 800 runner Alex France ’26 states he looks forward to the spring track season because of “the perfect weather and really impeccable team culture.” Beyond the competitive aspect of track and field, the season offers positive opportunities for its athletes, including camaraderie, personal growth, and physical fitness. Students coming from all athletic backgrounds and experiences are able to come together to bond and grow throughout the season.

As the season begins, the LM track team looks to come together and remain focused on their goals to train and compete at a high level. The roster is loaded with talent, and there are many athletes with the ability to achieve massive accomplishments this spring. Challenges are promised, but the aces are prepared to run right through any competition and exceed the goals set out for the spring track and field season.