The unbeaten brotherhood

A strong team and talented individuals bring high hopes for the boys’ tennis team this season.
Strong team chemistry proves to be the Aces’ key to success.
Photo courtesy of LM Boys’ Tennis

The LM boys’ tennis team has been a high-performing group for years with many Central League, district, and state championship titles under their belts. Their most recent state championship title was in 2022, where, notably, Brian Yi ’24 came out on top with his brother, Justin Yi ’23, as his right-hand man. The two won the doubles tournament and also significantly contributed to the team title. In 2023, the team had an extremely strong state championship performance in the singles tournament with a third place finish from Yi and a quarter final finish for Nathan Dolgushev ’26 and Charlie Bittinger ’25 in the doubles tournament. The team has also been reigning district champions for three years and hope to continue this streak this season.

This season has been off to a smashing start with a current undefeated record as of April 14. The team’s repetitive training has been a reliable source of success for years, and the boys are willing to put in the work each day. Each player is focused on boosting their physical performance. However, when asked about some of his keys to success, Sam Abella ’24 said, “I am also working on building my mental fortitude in each practice and match.” The technical skills and details that each player works on is admirable and shows the strength of the team.

Photo courtesy of LM Boys’ Tennis

Not only is the team strong in terms of their athletics, but also when it comes to their brotherhood. A part of what makes the LM team so accomplished is how supportive they are of each other. Yi stated, “I feel like our winning culture has our whole team invested in each other and our development both on and off the tennis court.” The commitment within the team ensures a hardworking environment. The team works to encourage each other in both JV and Varsity, cheering each other on every match through highs and lows. This brotherhood, especially among the older players, encourages younger players to come to practice and stay dedicated.

Looking ahead to the future, the group is working hard towards winning a ninth state championship. Also, the team is  looking for a lasting impact on LM’s athletic history. Abella said, “I hope that, more than winning states, our team becomes even more unified and builds a significant, lasting community by the end of the season.” With strong performances throughout the season from all four grades, the Aces have a considerable shot at adding another state championship to their list of accomplishments. The team will continue to push their training and stay dedicated, hopefully coming out this season on top come the playoffs.

Graphic by Julia Zorc ’24