A Year in Review

A quick recap of some of the high points of this difficult year.

Most of us can agree that 2020 has been a disaster, but it’s worst remembering the shining moments in 2020 before and during COVID-19. 

For all sports fans, the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB were all able to finish successful seasons. There was a popular golf showdown between football greats Tom Brady and Payton Manning who played with golf greats Phil Mickleson and Tiger Woods. Joe Burrow powered LSU to their 4th National Championship against Clemson, and would later go on to become the 1st overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Kansas City Chiefs brought home their 1st Super Bowl in 50 years. Tom Brady joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and is currently leading them to a spot in this year’s playoffs. All star right fielder Mookie Betts signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers in a mega deal involving a 12 year contract extension. In basketball, Zion Williamson had an electrifying start to his NBA career, averaging 22.5 points in 24 games. Many people realized how much they love sports and how it can unite friends, families, and cities in times of Covid distancing.

Without regular activities to keep them busy, many turned to movies and TV to occupy their time. In late March, Netflix released the documentary Tiger King, which excited millions and brought together the country in tough times. Many still wonder, did Carole Baskin kill her husband? And for all movie watchers, drive-in cinemas have made a comeback and are now used quite frequently as a way to stay safe at the same time as enjoying your favorite film. 

Due to countless COVID constraints, people had to put more effort into making creative ways to host and attend events such as drive in birthday parties and Zoom parties. For those who weren’t very technologically savvy, they learned all skills needed to become successful in the virtual world with all the time that had to be spent on electronics. As for people who are pros with technology already such as Elon Musk and his SpaceX team, even more impressive feats were accomplished; SpaceX had many well heeled launches of satellites that got put into orbit. Some launches were broadcast live for the whole country to see with breathtaking closeup footage of the rocket. 

With more time on everybody’s hands, there are lots of people that have taken holiday decoration more seriously this year, and neighborhoods to be glowing with lights and a cheerful holiday spirit!  Although 2020 has been anything but perfect, there are still many events that have brought smiles to our faces. Hopefully 2021 will bring even more good news!