Peter Dawson

Sean was authentic. He was nice and genuine to everyone he met. Sean was the same way to a freshman as he was to a senior teacher like myself.
Peter+Dawson

Sean was an excellent teacher and a great boss. Sean and I started together here at LM at the same time. September of 1998. He and I were both Social Studies teachers. He had about six years of teaching experience, while I was brand new. Sean quickly became the Assistant Athletic Director. He later became the Athletic Director here at LM, and he was awesome as an AD. He loved the students and supported the athletes and the coaches. Sean continued to move up the administration chain, serving as an Assistant Principal alongside Marcy Hockfield, Wagner Marseilles, and Scott Eveslage. The Dream Team.

Sean wanted to become the LM Principal, and I told him not to do it, as Sean wanted to be liked and appreciated by the students and faculty, but as the leader, sometimes you had to be the bad guy. Turns out I was wrong on both counts. Sean was an excellent principal and supported both students and teachers in their efforts. He loved “pilot” programs, which soon became not just pilot programs, but the norm. If it worked, it worked.

I think Chet Laubach said it best at the memorial service: Sean was authentic. He was nice and genuine to everyone he met. Sean was the same way to a freshman as he was to a senior teacher like myself. He was always supportive. He loved his job and he loved making a difference in students’ lives. I feel for my freshmen, as they did not get an opportunity to get to know a person like Huuuughes.

Personally, Sean was a good friend. I worked out with him in the mornings. He had a great sense of humor and he loved being the Principal at LM. His death on top of Mike Stettner’s passing has hit the staff quite hard.

I think and pray for his family every day. So very sad.

Sean Hughes (row 3, center right) in his inaugural year at LM (1998), alongside Chet Laubach (row 3, far left) and Peter Dawson (row 2, far right). | Photo courtesy of LMSD Office of School and Community Relations