Something Different by Eric

A look into LM alum Eric Wells’ gift store and Jaiden Do’s 2022 Champion of the Year nomination for Best Buddies.
Eric Wells shares his incredible journey to becoming a store owner | Photo courtesy of ABC News

LM alum, 30-year-old Eric Wells and his parents opened a business called “Something Different” in hopes of creating something he can call his own. The nonprofit gift store celebrates individuals with disabilities and “is staffed entirely by volunteers, some of whom, like Eric, are living with disabilities and some who aren’t.” Eric’s mom, Bernadette Wheeler says that the store’s goal isn’t to make a profit–it’s to create a community.” In retail there’s a lot of flexibility with all of the different jobs and schedules. Wheeler explains how “these factors make it easier for someone with special needs to find a regimen that fits them.” The store regularly hosts speakers on topics prevalent in the disabled community and social activities including dances, yoga, sports team viewing parties, and more. Many of the store vendors also employ people with disabilities or donate a small amount of their earnings to charity.

Looking to get a head start on holiday gift shopping? Look no further than
“Something Different by Eric” for some great options that anyone is sure to love:

1. Main Line or Philadelphia map pillow ($35.00)

2. NCAA 2016 Championship wall art
($159.00)

3. For the pet gift box ($49. 99)

4. Holiday serving towels ($15.00)

5. Holiday Christmas plate, Book and
serving tray ($29.99)

6. African purses ($15.00)

7. Choose to be grateful sign ($25.00)

8. Eagles pillow ($25.00)

Currently at LM, students are also working to make a more inclusive community within our Best Buddies club. Jaiden Do ’23, our LM Best Buddies Vice President, has been nominated to be 2022 Champion of the Year for Best Buddies Pennsylvania. Jaiden will be recognized on Friday, November 11 at the Philadelphia Champion of the Year Gala at the Drexelbrook Catering and Event Center in Drexel Hill. It would truly mean a lot to the LM Best Buddies community if you would attend the gala or make a donation in Jaiden’s honor if you are able to do so. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Jaiden, Heather Van Horn or Aaron Datsko.