Crush-ing Valentine’s Day

Don’t know what you’re doing to celebrate Valentine’s Day? Here is the perfect list of some fun activities and date ideas that you and your valentine may enjoy.
Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25/Staff

With January coming to a close, we are nearing a holiday that people usually have a love-hate relationship with. If you are celebrating this holiday with a significant other or friends, do you know what you’re doing to celebrate it? This list is a small guide to some fun activities and date ideas that might work for you and your valentine.

1. Have a picnic: This may be a cliche idea, but picnics are a fun way to either go on a date or hang out with friends. Bringing holiday-themed foods like chocolate strawberries and heart shaped treats are a great touch. There are so many places in Lower Merion Township and Philadelphia that are perfect for the ultimate picnics. My personal recommendations for places to have picnics outside of Philadelphia are Merion Botanical, Longwood Gardens, and Chanticleer Garden. Within Philadelphia, the best spots are Rittenhouse Square, Spruce Street Harbor Park, and Fitler Square. All of these places have a romantic ambience for a fun evening with your friends or valentine.

2. Baking Date: Circling back to making treats, a great Valentine’s/Galentine’s date idea is baking with someone. Whether it be making cakes or cookies, baking is an enjoyable way to show someone love. For Valentine’s/Galentine’s specific baking dates, some treats that are delicious are chocolate covered strawberries, jam-filled heart cookies, any red velvet baked goods, and heart shaped cookies cakes. All of these baked goods are super easy and cheap to make and you can find these ingredients anywhere; Target, Rite-Aid, Giant, Whole Foods, etc. In all, a baking date with any person of your choice is a great option for Valentine’s Day.

3. Rom-Com Movie Night: I personally love rom-coms and one fun way that I spend a galentine’s day with my friends is having a rom-com movie marathon. Even if you’re in a relationship, movie nights are always a relaxing date idea. Especially since this holiday is centered around love, watching a good rom-com with friends or your date is a nice way to spend a special night and have a great time. Some rom-coms I recommend are The Proposal, She’s the Man, Love Rosie, Set it Up, and 10 Things I Hate About You. I hope that this list at least gives you a few ideas of how you want to spend this holiday. No matter what you chose to do, I hope that anyone who is planning to celebrate has the best Valentines Day with the people closest to them!