Singing valentines

Learn more about the festive Singing Valentine’s event courtesy of LM Players and Choir.
Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25/Staff

Love is in the air and, LM Players and Choir are getting ready for their annual fundraising event, Singing Valentines! This is a way for students to show their love or gratitude for another student, teacher, or faculty member by purchasing a Singing Valentine. This means that a group of singers will come to the selected person’s class and sing a love song to them. Students who purchase a Singing Valentine get to choose the song, if they want it to be anonymous, and what class they want it to occur in. This fun activity tends to get the whole class laughing and sometimes even singing along! Rose Solga ’23 is the treasurer of Players and says that it requires a lot of organization beforehand because they have to “recruit people to be a part of it, make the schedules for groups, plan out the day, and make sure everyone gets their valentine.” This year Solga plans on recruiting Players production manager Ethan Plon ’25 to help out. 

The event usually raises around $800 to $1,000, and Solga calls it one of Players’ “mid-tier” fundraisers, but in the past they have raised up to 1,300 dollars! In the years where they raise more money, Solga says that it is typically a result of more advertisement and overall a large number of singers and people interested. Anyone, no matter how good they are at singing, can participate, and the singers dress up in fun Valentines Day attire that are up to them to choose. As for the songs, a fan favorite is “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Swede. The Players production of Little Women may cause this year’s Singing Valentines event to be pushed back so that there is enough time for Solga to plan things out, but look out for the finalized date to come!