Back to school advice from Merionite seniors

For many of us, LM is our final stop before we enter the real world, whether that be pursuing higher education or securing a full-time job to provide for our families. Adults often tell us that these four years will pass in no time, before we’ve had a chance to process all of our thoughts. In turn, many of us believe this statement is synonymous to “high school is going to be a blast!” 

As a senior myself, here’s what I’ve come to realize: Yes, highschool brings us nostalgia of our youth and seems to pass by in a flash—in the grand scheme of things But the truth is, most of that time involves enduring long classes, often feeling half-asleep, and questioning whether the eventual rewards are worth the seemingly endless anxiety. In short, highschool often feels long and exhausting, even when we know an end awaits us. 

But don’t let this discourage you. Whether you’re a junior taking AP classes or a freshman adjusting to Lunch & Learn, you’re guaranteed to have experiences that will be integral to your growth and success. For instance, you may find yourself forming connections with peers over the stresses leading up to exams and hours of sleep lost to finish lengthy homework packets. Though we’ll face countless obstacles and unprecedented situations, we can find balance through the meaningful bonds we form with others and diverse perspectives we encounter—experiences far more valuable than our GPAs and test scores. By embracing this aspect, high school truly prepares us for the future, as we learn to navigate uncertainty and remain faithful in difficult situations. 

Of course, this mindset doesn’t come easily, as it may not always seem to hold true. It requires mental strength and support from others to maintain it. Knowing this, The Merionite senior staff have offered their opinions and tips to improve your highschool journey!  

Numerous members prioritized being a part of multiple communities, and not limiting yourself to one circle of people;

Connor Kleinman (Op-Ed Editor): “Join as many clubs as possible, and don’t be afraid to quit the ones that you don’t like. It’ll expose you to a variety of ways to use your time, so that you won’t be committing yourself to a year-long saga of sadness (doing homework alone 24/7).” 

Aine McCann (Copy Editor): “Try joining clubs as early as you can (freshman or sophomore year) to build connections as an upperclassman and secure leadership positions. But don’t seek leadership roles merely for a resume; join clubs that make you happy! Also, connecting with many communities throughout all four years brings you something to look forward to in the midst of all the stress.” 

Nathan Grunfeld (Sports Editor): “LM offers a wide range of activities and clubs, so be open to trying new things! Get involved with groups you’re curious about, and let them take you places; you might find a new passion to pursue beyond this school building. Overall, take advantage of LM’s diverse community to discover more about yourself.”

Others emphasized the struggle of time management;

James Korin (Features Editor): “Whenever you have free time, consider getting ahead on school work. Personally, I have saved myself a lot of stress by completing an assignment a few days before the due date. You never really know when you will suddenly become busy. Also, it is always an amazing feeling when you realize you have an afternoon completely free, which is made possible by efficient planning.” 

Josh Greenberg (Sports Editor): “Even if it seems obvious, take advantage of your study halls or frees, as well as L&L. Those times are open for many reasons, such as getting in another hour of sleep or reviewing for a test later in the day. It’s really difficult but it’s worth creating a basic framework for balancing your academics with other aspects of your life, like a sport or job, to increase your chances of enjoying highschool.”

Some commented on the overlooked issues of the school community, and the importance in recognizing them; 

Anonymous Editor: “I think our school has pretty toxic expectations for their students, especially with grade inflation and the amount of AP classes we feel pressured to take. I hope we can emphasize to the underclassmen that nothing good comes out of conforming to others’ class schedules and resume-building plans.”

Noah Barkan (Editor-in-Chief): “I think our faculty is really underappreciated. Be respectful and lend a hand to everyone there. Pick up your trash, introduce yourself, and listen to directions given by custodial staff, campus aids, librarians and anyone else who helps make our school run smoothly.”  

And if there’s one thing you could take out of this article, we’d hope it’s this tip;

Luke Shepard (Editor-in-Chief): DON’T LOSE YOUR CHARGER!

While it’s true that many of us are eager to leave, we can also recognize that high school has brought us opportunities and lessons that no other place has to offer. At some point in our lives, we’ll miss the familiar buzzing hallways in-between classes and all of the peers we have met throughout our journey. And soon, we will be like the adults begging freshmen to take advantage of their time here. Hopefully, these tips from our senior staff will serve you well during your time here.