STEM Internships

How stem internships help students gather insight

Are you considering pursuing a STEM-related major? If so, acquiring research experience prior to your undergraduate education is crucial not only for college admissions, but also for discovering if you truly want to pursue STEM as a career or major. For example, if students are considering studying medicine (on the pre-med track), shadowing opportunities, lab internships, and exposure to medical research are all excellent ways to gain early experience for future careers. With research, students can observe STEM fields first hand beyond the classroom and foster relationships with research mentors and lab peers.

Personally, I was a research intern at a hematology(the study of blood) lab which studied the effects of certain oral medications on individuals with Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). SCD is a red blood cell (RBC) disorder caused by abnormal hemoglobin. Normal RBCs are flexible and can maneuver through small blood vessels. However, sickle-shaped cells can block blood flow which can lead to anemia and jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin). During my time in the lab, I would examine blood samples of patients diagnosed with SCD and run the samples through a High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Machine, which would reveal the percent of modified hemoglobin in the blood. Additionally, I would also inspect the sickle cells and RBC under a microscope to observe the effects of certain types of oral medication.

On top of this, performing research in a lab can produce many unexpected benefits and opportunities. Sarem Khan ’24 realized that the research course he participated in helped him “gain a deep understanding of research methodologies and statistical analysis.” Khan worked as a researcher at Shriners Children’s Philadelphia where he participated in a six-week medical immersion course and presented his research to the surgical staff of the hospital. He also stated, “I developed strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities and honed my communication skills through presenting research at various symposiums.” Andrew Fan ’25 said, “Research has taught me that every single thing in the world ever invented always started out in failure and that in the future, I should never give up on an idea as I would never know if one idea out of thousands will change the world.” Fan was a research intern at the Smilow Center for Translational Research at the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied pathology (the study of disease). An integral part of any research is repetition of the same lab countless times until researchers obtain consistent results. Successful results could take years, but the common factor here is patience.

For those wondering how to obtain these internship positions, Lower Merion Township is a prime location for access to top-rated research facilities in medicine, technology, and engineering. Just twenty minutes from LM are some of the country’s finest medical research facilities, including the Smilow Center for Translational Research at the University of Pennsylvania, The Wistar Institute at UPenn, and the Roberts Center for Pediatric Research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). These are just some of the many elite research facilities in the area. The application process for these internships can be difficult and hard to navigate. However, if you are trying to land a top-rated internship (with a good amount of pay), you need to have shown a strong academic record and involvement outside of the classroom. For instance, the lab internships available at CHOP look for rigorous STEM-based classes (AP Chem, AP Calc, AP Mechanics, etc.) and previous passion for medical research shown in your resume. A number of research internships in University City open up December 1 and usually close in early spring. To land a STEM-based internship, you need to be prepared, committed, and have true interest in the field. Always keep in mind that each application you submit is a step closer towards your career in STEM, so embrace the exciting possibilities ahead.