Second semester motivation

A students’ guide to maintaining focus amid second semester distractions.

As we move into the second half of the school year, students’ focus tends to derail. It can be hard to keep the motivation and effort from the first half of the year alive in the third and fourth quarters. With the change of weather, pressure to make summer plans, and stress of picking classes for next year, students find themselves fixating on things other than their current classes and studies. Though these distractions can make school more challenging, there are many ways for students to diminish their effects.

Taking advantage of opportunities given in school can help students perform well. Things can be a lot easier on students if they apply themselves the best they can during school hours. A math teacher at LM, John Vaccaro recommends, “Be really diligent in utilizing your Lunch and Learn and study halls.” Lunch and Learn gives students direct help from their teachers, which can make things easier on them in the regular classroom setting. Study halls also give them a way to get their work done in school, giving them time to do other activities and lessen other stressors after school. Vaccaro additionally shares that “One of the most important things to do is to stay organized and make lists of what you have to do.” Since students’ minds are on many other things at this time of the year, making lists is a good way to stay on track and to get done what they need to. Thomas Reed, a global studies and global citizenship teacher at LM, acknowledged that a big part of keeping students’ motivation up is the teacher’s job. He shares that “Motivation is also a part of the job that I do. I need to come in here with lesson plans that are motivational, which may allow the students to be hands-on and use their critical thinking skills. It’s not solely the job of the student, but the student does need to apply themselves.” Teachers do have a big role in student engagement, but students need to take what the teacher gives them and work off of it. If they are engaging to their best ability, and applying themselves during teachers’ lessons and assignments, it shouldn’t be as hard for students to stay on track. You get out what you put into it. Reed also suggests that “They should not overwhelm themselves in regard to the classes that they take; they should challenge themselves, but not overwhelm themselves. Take classes that you have an interest already in or want to explore; don’t take classes that you have to take but ones that you are going to love.” This is a good piece of advice since students’ motivation to work hard can be heavily influenced by their interest in the class. When students take classes that they don’t have any interest in, they tend to lose focus and not put in their best effort. It will be much easier to keep motivation if students stay engaged in school and utilize these suggestions.

Additionally, having a good balance between school work and other activities can be very beneficial to how a student performs in school. Vaccaro forwards the idea that, “As the weather gets warmer, and the daylight is longer, plan times of when you will be outside and when you will be doing your homework.” It is important for students to split their time in a manageable way that allows them to have a break from school work. As we get further into the year, students also start to slack off on routines they priorly had. A biology teacher at LM, Donniell Cooke, has an interesting way of helping students with this. She suggests that “Students should set a consistent routine, but in that routine, have intermittent rewards. So, when they stick to their routine, they can reward themselves, maybe by hanging out with friends, going to a movie, or just doing something they really enjoy.” Students keeping a routine so that they are managing their time in a controlled way is super important. Rewarding themselves by doing other things besides school work will motivate them to focus more on their studies and getting their work done. Students also need to focus on their balance between school work and taking care of themselves. If students are not in a good state to be learning, then it will be harder for them to apply themselves in school. Reed says, “Students need to remember to take care of themselves, making sure that they are eating well and getting enough sleep.” They need to figure out a balance between when they should be sleeping or doing work. Some students overwhelm themselves with work at night and, in turn, don’t get enough sleep to power them through the school day. If students manage the way they work so that they have a consistent sleep schedule, they will be able to put in more effort in the classroom. A balance between school work, activities, and sleep is crucial to students’ success. 

It can be tough for students to stay immersed in their studies and school work as we get closer to the end of the school year. But if students follow this advice, they can make things a lot easier on themselves. Students must block out the distractions of what is to come in order to finish out the school year strong.