Sailing towards success

LM girls’ crew has worked hard to find lots of success so far this spring season, with much more sure to come.
Photo courtesy of Danka Rauer

Backon the water this spring, LM girls’ crew is dominating this season. Placing top five in races left and right, the team has never been better. Despite harsh weather forcing multiple race cancellations, the team has been highly successful and has fought for every win. Even with all their current success, the season isn’t over, with multiple important races coming up, including the USRowing Mid-Atlantics, the Stotesbury Cup Regatta, and the SRAA Regatta.

The team’s wins this season are directly tied to the amount of time and effort the entire team dedicates to practice. The girls are out on their boats almost everyday, rowing as hard as they possibly can. Varsity captain Quinn Baker ’24 explains, “All of the girls on the team are working hard to make every day of practice count and you can definitely see the improvement each day.” The Aces are grinding hard to perform as well as possible at crucial races that remain this season.

Baker continues, “The team is still working, but is on track to be competitive at both of the regattas as well as City Championships.” The Aces practice five days a week, for multiple hours every practice, whether it is rowing or working out, the girls are always striving to compete at higher levels.

While the team is divided by boats, LM girls’ crew is a community. From rigorous practices to difficult races, the Aces are always cheering each other on, and have bonded throughout this season. As varsity captain Maria Reynolds ’24 says, “We rely on each other to get through tough days on the river, or when training at school. We also try to make practice as much fun as possible by joking around, going all out with spirit days, or playing music.” Not only has girls’ crew bonded amongst themselves, but they have also bonded with LM boys’ crew this season, with both teams cheering each other on at races.

One specific boat worth mentioning is the girls’ varsity 4+ boat, which has placed first in multiple races, beating Egg Harbor, Germantown Academy, Kearny, and Atlantic City. The boat’s members consist of Reynolds, Baker, Esme Oxman ’24, Greta Oberdiek ’24, and Vivian Orova ’24. In addition to their successes, the girls’ junior varsity has also been winning regularly. Regarding goals for the rest of the season, varsity captain Clarie Edwards ’24 hopes for, “as many wins as possible… and getting as many medals as possible.” Edwards thinks this goal could be reached, as they have had “quite a number of wins
this year which is a great way to start.” The coaches have been supporting the Aces every step along the way, aiding the team’s through their many wins and rare losses.

The team has already been highly prosperous this year. Only time will tell how well the LM girls’ crew team performs in their remaining races this season, but they certainly have the skill and training required to finish the season strong. Winning these next few important races is of paramount importance for the team, and the girls are willing to pour their hearts and souls in order to help the crew achieve greatness. With the amount the team practices, wins, and supports one another, they are bound to not only dominate the rest of this season, but also many seasons to come.

Photo courtesy of Margot Oxman