Fearless fashion

Read about how celebrities use red-carpet fashion to make social justice statements.

Throughout the evolution of fashion, designers and celebrities alike have used fashion to make statements on their beliefs. Whether it’s on runways or at events like the Met Gala, style has been used for more than just creative expression. A prime example of this is the work of the iconic English designer Vivienne Westwood, who was well known for making political statements directly on the catwalk. She created scenes on the runway that are reminiscent of protests, with models holding signs reading “Justice for prisoners in Guantanamo Bay” and “Climate Revolution!” She was also seen walking with her models, directly expressing her beliefs. One visual of this was when she wore a pin saying “Yes” as she strutted hand-in-hand with a female model dressed like a bride, to campaign for the legalization of same-sex marriage. One of Westwood’s most controversial design statements was a graphic shirt emblazoned by a swastika, distorted cross, and the word “destroy.” The goal of this design was to bring attention to the horrific dictators around the world at the time, like Chile’s Augusto Pinochet. Westwood’s work helped inspire attention from those who would not usually get involved in politics. By using fashion to make a statement, designers are able to reach larger audiences in order to raise awareness for causes that are important to them. 

Graphic by Tillie Szwartz ’25/Staff

The Met Gala, which is coming up in May, is a popular place for celebrities to declare their thoughts and views on societal issues. One of the most well-known cases of this is Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s (AOC) “Tax the Rich” dress from the 2022 Met Gala. This dress was extremely controversial given the topic and the event, as the Met Gala is a hub for very wealthy celebrities. While celebrities pay tens of thousands of dollars to attend, AOC, like many other representatives and government officials, was invited free-of-charge as a “guest of the museum.” There were mixed reactions to her statement. Donald Trump Jr. responded, tweeting that she was a fraud and hypocrite for “hanging out with a bunch of wealthy leftwing elites,” while others, like Representative Jim Banks, believed she was doing a good thing and helping bring attention to important issues. Although this dress did not achieve its goal—higher taxes for the rich—it surely generated a lot of press and brought attention to the subject.

The Met Gala isn’t the only event that celebrities use to express their beliefs. At the 2015 Video Music Awards, Blac Chyna and Amber Rose donned tight, nude dresses covered in derogatory words. The reality TV stars were there to protest against the image that people have of them and other women. When they were interviewed about the outfits, Rose encouraged fans to “join the movement…against sexual injustice, victim blaming, derogatory labeling, and gender inequality.” Some statements are more subtle, like the large group of women who chose to wear all black to the 2018 Golden Globes to support and bring attention to the Time’s Up movement, which helps people who have struggled with sexual harassment and abuse. 

The use of fashion has been very effective in bringing attention to important issues. These statements bring politics and social justice to a demographic that is more likely to tune into Fashion Police than they are to watch the news. By turning their outfits into spectacles for important issues, celebrities and fashion designers are able to bring more awareness to the causes and create dialogue around them. This could all lead to louder voices, more powerful movements, better solutions, and a less prejudiced society.