Winter chorus concert Q&A

LM chorus opens its curtains for the winter concert. Get an inside scoop of an insider’s perspective on the concert.
Graphic by Eliza Liebo ’25/Staff

On December 6, LM’s chorus had their winter concert, an event which they have been preparing for since the beginning of the school year. Choir was given their fall repertoire to learn for the concert in early December. Each class, they warm up, practice sight singing, and then rehearse the music. As further preparation for this event, they practiced their selected songs and went through evaluations making sure they are prepared for the concert. For more information on the concert, The Merionite has interviewed chorus student Avery Pelletier ’25 for the curtains perspective of the concert. 

Q: Can you describe the atmosphere and emotions you felt during the chorus concert?

A:The atmosphere during the concert was happy. I think people were really excited to show their parents the work we’ve done and perform together in a group.

Q:What was the most memorable moment as a whole preparing for this concert?

A: We have spent a lot of time on it and we have been preparing since September. We have been working really hard as a group to prepare to produce an entertaining concert.

Q: What were the songs that were performed and which one was the hardest to perform?

A: We had four songs: “Fair Phyllis”, “Silent Devotion”, ” Tambur”, “Hallelujah.” The hardest song to perform was Silent Devotion because the song was in Hebrew which made it difficult to learn. Singing it together and the timing of it was also a little difficult to master because people were coming in at different times.”

Q: Were there any specific songs that resonated with the chorus as a whole or was the most fun to perform?

A: Fair Phyllis! I think that was the group favorite because it was really upbeat and really fun to sing. I personally also felt most connected to Fair Phyllis because of its upbeat tone and lyrics. 

Q: In what ways do you think the chorus concert succeeded in connecting with the audience, if at all?

A: I think the ending of the concert helped connect the audience because people came up on stage to sing with us. During Hallelujah parents and kids came up to sing and I think that part really made the audience feel connected with the performance because that doesn’t usually happen during concerts.